Thinking About Quitting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’ve been thinking about quitting for months now. I train and compete in Australia Andrew for the past few months have been dreading training sessions. Each session I just feel “ugh” to put it simply before going in. I am unmotivated when I am at training and don’t feel the desire to improve or gain new skills.

However, I am worried that my desire for quitting may be because I have had a particularly bad year as I went from coming 3rd at Nationals for my age to not even qualifying. I have had trouble at competition coping with my nerves and build up anxiety before them. I stacked all of my passes at competitions. I am worried that I am quitting not because I’ve lost my love fore tumbling but because I just haven’t done well in competition.

Recently, I thought I started to enjoy it as I have been landing all my doubles at gym but when it comes to new skills I find that I can’t be bothered to do well and am severely unmotivated I also still continue to dread going to gym.

However, I feel as though I have built a family their, I am so close to my teammates and have shared so much of my life with them. Leaving them would be heartbreaking for me but maybe it is the reason I’m not quitting. I need some guidance on this issue and how to move forward.

3 options (all involve talking to coaches and parents):
1. See if you can take a break for a set amount of time. After that time, try going back and see how you feel. You may miss it enough AND be re-energized after the break OR you may realize it really is time to retire.
2. Stick with it but don't worry about upgrading skills right now. Compete what you can do well and see how it goes. If you still dread it, then retire after the season is over.
3. Retire. Try something new. If you miss it badly enough, make sure "the door would be open" for you to come back.

As you may be able to tell, I don't like the word "quit." Unless you are leaving the sport mid-commitment, then it is not quitting.
My OG quit once) practically right after signing her team papers for the season, but it was not of her own free will ... and she ended up coming back just shy of 3 months later. She competed 2 more years and then retired. 2 years after that, she came out of retirement for 1 more season. She keeps toying with another comeback, but is afraid her little sister would be better than her a perfectionist like her can't handle that, lol.

Well you are at an age where there aren't many same age team mates.
If you don't think about competing, just getting out their and doing your thing does that fill you with excitement?
If it does, talk to your coach, can you just train and not compete next year? Usually I find that the clubs are easier on older kids/adults with their competition and training requirements.
Do you feel there is expectations from your club or parents to do well as you have done previously? If you want to compete even if you don't qualify for nationals can you tell them that you are just happy with that.
Can you repeat a level (not knowing what level you are) and do better next year?
To me it doesn't sound like you want to leave the sport, just change the emphasis or expectations.

I understand your situation and it's very difficult to switch. But you need to explore yourself, what you really want to do and which skill will give you growth in future. Try to focus on such things that have long term benefits. As you said tumbling is your love, then find the solution why you are not able to perform well in competitions and start working on your weak points. I understand its easy to suggest someone but very difficult to motivate yourself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back