Thinking about T&T for DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, update. Tryout is on Tuesday. Head coach has been very responsive and super enthusiastic. I have to admit I am REALLY wanting this to work for DD. The more I read on here about kids in the WAG JO program and the "my kid leaves for school at 7:30 and isn't home until 9:30 every night of the week" the more fearful I get for DD and her ability to keep up in school and also participate in other things like band or theater, which she wants to do. I just don't know that I want that for her at all. I am lured by the lower hours and the fact that I truly thing T&T caters to DD's strengths while minimizing some of her limitations (flexibility).

I am concerned that her friendship ties at the current gym/program will deter her. I'm hoping that isn't the case. She had to switch gyms last year due to her previous gym imploding so I know she can make the switch and become comfortable, but I'm just not sure where she's at mentally with it. She seems excited. I'll update this thread once we go on Tuesday.

Good Luck. I talked to a mom a few days ago who was very pleased that her daughter quit gymnastics two years ago after winning AA at states as an 11 year old level 8. The mom hated the hours and that it is not a lifelong sport. It was interesting to hear a different perspective.

I also hope that it works out for her! My YDD left artistic last year and has had no regrets even as the training-especially conditioning has become harder. She also likes having the time to pursue other things (drama,cross fit and rec soccer). Let us know how it goes!

Well. DD fell in love. Two hours of T&T and she's ready to go. I however, have some more questions I hope you folks can answer.

Head coach said DD would be as of this moment (possibly changing by January season) L6 tumbling, L6 DM, and L5 trampoline. I watched the entire practice, and I think my biggest question is how do these athletes maintain their conditioning and skills when T&T hours are so significantly lower than artistic. Currently DD is in the gym 12 hours a week, T&T would be 5. Funny thing is she's SORE today. Obviously using different muscles. She's even talking about doing conditioning at HOME. What the what? Never has happened before.

For those of you whose kids made the switch from artistic to T&T, what was the biggest adjustment?

I also hope that it works out for her! My YDD left artistic last year and has had no regrets even as the training-especially conditioning has become harder. She also likes having the time to pursue other things (drama,cross fit and rec soccer). Let us know how it goes!

DD is already talking about maybe doing basketball. I think the ability to do other things may be super attractive to her.

Well. DD fell in love. Two hours of T&T and she's ready to go. I however, have some more questions I hope you folks can answer.

Head coach said DD would be as of this moment (possibly changing by January season) L6 tumbling, L6 DM, and L5 trampoline. I watched the entire practice, and I think my biggest question is how do these athletes maintain their conditioning and skills when T&T hours are so significantly lower than artistic. Currently DD is in the gym 12 hours a week, T&T would be 5. Funny thing is she's SORE today. Obviously using different muscles. She's even talking about doing conditioning at HOME. What the what? Never has happened before.

For those of you whose kids made the switch from artistic to T&T, what was the biggest adjustment?
Honestly, I don't think that t&t kids have quite the ridiculous level of fitness that many artistic girls do, but they are surely strong and fit. Bouncing on the trampoline for a rotation is a workout like no other. I've heard from a couple girls (higher level than my DD) that they also do crossfit type stuff on their own time. Our L5-8 team only has four hours of team practice though. Doing other things, like basketball, would help keep her fit too. I'm glad she fell in love!

DS never was in artistic but a couple of girls switched over from artistic to trampolining at our gym. They did make more hours in artistic (well at first, now at youth elite level they are at 6 x 2,5 hours a week anyway) but they said trampolining training sessions were more intense at lower hours. I think it is a cool thing for your DD to be able to put time in other sports as well. DS is moving up to 12 hours a week (4 x 2,5 and 1 x 2 hours) next year so no other sports for him anymore at this point. Good luck with your journey and keep us posted.

So happy your DD liked it. My DD was in Xcel so less hours to begin with. She now goes 9 hours training L6 TU and L 7-8 DM and TR. The conditioning in T&T she says is way harder. She is often sore. She will do drama camp this summer and try Rec Soccer this fall. She is one who needs to keep busy!!

Well, DD has decided to pull the trigger. Tonight is her last night at her artistic gym. The conversations with her coach have been a bit heart wrenching. She loves DD, and she's sad, but supportive. Tonight is going to be a mess of tears with her teammates and I'm not looking forward to it.

I am sorry about the heart wrenching part...but excited about what lies ahead for her! She is so lucky to be able to have this option-if my child wanted to do it, there is nowhere nearby, so that dream would have to die a quick death. Good luck to her, and I am sure she will do well!

I am sorry about the heart wrenching part...but excited about what lies ahead for her! She is so lucky to be able to have this option-if my child wanted to do it, there is nowhere nearby, so that dream would have to die a quick death. Good luck to her, and I am sure she will do well!

One of my concerns is that this is the only game in town. The next closest options are about a 2 hour drive.

@twinmomma I was just reading this thread because we're a bit in the same boat- possibly moving from artistic to T&T. I'm wondering how it all has worked out for your DD (about a year after you posted on this thread)? My DD is only 7 and I'm balancing helping her make the right decision and including parental guidance (since she is only 7).

@twinmomma I was just reading this thread because we're a bit in the same boat- possibly moving from artistic to T&T. I'm wondering how it all has worked out for your DD (about a year after you posted on this thread)? My DD is only 7 and I'm balancing helping her make the right decision and including parental guidance (since she is only 7).
It's great. DD is on her second year in T&T. I love so many things about it. The fact that they can be different levels on all three events. The fact that because it's a more niche part of gymnastics that the kids from all teams tend to be supportive of one another (not just from their own team). That body types of all kinds can be seen out on the floor.

DD is in the gym 4 nights a week, about 10 hours. She started last year as a 7/6/7 (Trampoline, tumbling, double mini) and is an 8/7/8 this year. The team has grown to 20 this year. Her coaches are awesome, and she's had access to meet Olympians (Logan Dooley) and even has working relationships with all the area coaches because of state clinic. I can't say enough.

This is great to hear! Congrats on a successful change! We may make the switch too but my DD doesn't want to give up bars and vault. If she could, she's do both Artistic and T&T. But then she'd be living at the gym and I'm not sure she would really like that after a couple of months. It's tough to know which path to chose. I've tried to make a pros/cons list for both but they come out equal. My DD tried a class, loves it, but only really wants to do tumbling. And then she wants to do vault and bars too (which I've reminded her are not part of T&T). She was 'meh with tramp but I think that's because it's the first time she's tried it in a 'learning' way. She could grow in to really liking it. She said double mini is harder than it looks and she doesn't like it. ;-) But she liked the shorter hours, less intensity idea, etc...

It's great. DD is on her second year in T&T. I love so many things about it. The fact that they can be different levels on all three events. The fact that because it's a more niche part of gymnastics that the kids from all teams tend to be supportive of one another (not just from their own team). That body types of all kinds can be seen out on the floor.

DD is in the gym 4 nights a week, about 10 hours. She started last year as a 7/6/7 (Trampoline, tumbling, double mini) and is an 8/7/8 this year. The team has grown to 20 this year. Her coaches are awesome, and she's had access to meet Olympians (Logan Dooley) and even has working relationships with all the area coaches because of state clinic. I can't say enough.

This is great to hear! Congrats on a successful change! We may make the switch too but my DD doesn't want to give up bars and vault. If she could, she's do both Artistic and T&T. But then she'd be living at the gym and I'm not sure she would really like that after a couple of months. It's tough to know which path to chose. I've tried to make a pros/cons list for both but they come out equal. My DD tried a class, loves it, but only really wants to do tumbling. And then she wants to do vault and bars too (which I've reminded her are not part of T&T). She was 'meh with tramp but I think that's because it's the first time she's tried it in a 'learning' way. She could grow in to really liking it. She said double mini is harder than it looks and she doesn't like it. ;-) But she liked the shorter hours, less intensity idea, etc...

I can't help on the bars front, but I have always seen Double Mini a lot like vault. I think too kids are thrown by how technical trampoline is, when they feel like "I'm on the trampoline all the time, how hard could it be." I'd love to hear how she feels in a few months! Has she seen a comp?

She has not seen a competition yet but I'm going to find one near by (if possible) so we both can see how it all works.

I can't help on the bars front, but I have always seen Double Mini a lot like vault. I think too kids are thrown by how technical trampoline is, when they feel like "I'm on the trampoline all the time, how hard could it be." I'd love to hear how she feels in a few months! Has she seen a comp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back