MAG Third year level 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Mid season update- My son has been working through his crazy fear of his high bar dismount that manifested around December. The coaches and I haven't gotten frustrated with him at all and pretty much took all the pressure off to let him work through it on his own. He came home last night after practice so happy that he went for his dismount on the first try! Also the parallel bar giant that he was freezing on in the fall (one of the main reasons he didn't do level 8)- he's going to try to compete it at the competition this weekend. His coach said he'll probably get more deductions than it's worth but if he can overcome the fear and compete it, it's a WIN! We'll see how this weekend goes! :)

Just watched his last meet on YouTube he looks great! Liked his pommel a lot.

My son had similar blocks on almost same skills. Giants scared him on pbars around that same age. He has also had blocks on high bar dismounts. His block started after he learned the double back tuck dismount off high bar which he got easily but then he was afraid of doing the single back tuck required for tech sequences- I think that was a few years ago. Then a year or so later he was over rotating at competitions in the double back and landing on his back (no injury but scared him). But fast forward to this season, he has upgraded his high bar dismount doing a 1/2 in 1/2 out. Just takes time and patience to let them work through it.

My son did 2nd year level 7 as 11 year old, then one year each in level 8 and 9 then level 10 this year.

I think you have gotten excellent advice here. And listen to your son. When I gave my son choices, he feels like he has control over the outcome (take some time off, try another sport during off season, skip a meet etc.). I think giving him choices and letting him decide if this is what he really wants helped my son (although if he had quit or picked a different sport would have saved us a lot of money). This will help in the next few years as he hits puberty and all those growth/hormones/injuries challenges happen.

Just watched his last meet on YouTube he looks great! Liked his pommel a lot.

My son had similar blocks on almost same skills. Giants scared him on pbars around that same age. He has also had blocks on high bar dismounts. His block started after he learned the double back tuck dismount off high bar which he got easily but then he was afraid of doing the single back tuck required for tech sequences- I think that was a few years ago. Then a year or so later he was over rotating at competitions in the double back and landing on his back (no injury but scared him). But fast forward to this season, he has upgraded his high bar dismount doing a 1/2 in 1/2 out. Just takes time and patience to let them work through it.

My son did 2nd year level 7 as 11 year old, then one year each in level 8 and 9 then level 10 this year.

I think you have gotten excellent advice here. And listen to your son. When I gave my son choices, he feels like he has control over the outcome (take some time off, try another sport during off season, skip a meet etc.). I think giving him choices and letting him decide if this is what he really wants helped my son (although if he had quit or picked a different sport would have saved us a lot of money). This will help in the next few years as he hits puberty and all those growth/hormones/injuries challenges happen.

Thanks! It's always nice to hear when others have similar issues. He doesn't want to try another sport although I make him and his brothers do swim team in the summer. :) He is starting to upgrade his skills and actually competed his giant (albiet ugly) on parallel bars last meet. He was so happy! It's going to take time and hopefully one day he'll choose to practice tighter and therefore help him in competitions. Either way- he enjoys gymnastics so I just join him for the ride. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back