Parents This is an expensive sport....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
My dd trains 18 hrs per week. Their gym is having camp in a few weeks and it an extra $135. Does that seem like a lot. It is not that many more hours.

Also our new leotard is $200, it is nice, but very expensive in my book. It should last a few years. Is that a lot?

The camp at your gym doesn't sound expensive to me. Ours is 227.00 per week (for 2 weeks) and is "highly recommended".

The leo sounds a tad bit high, but that price can vary a lot depending on the fabrics chosen, the rhinestones, etc.

Bottom line, it IS a very expensive sport!

-Lynn

Our camp is $155.00 for 9-5. My DD only trains 9 hours a week so it is quite a bit more. We do get a break on our August tuition since they will not have "regular" practice that week.

Our L4-L5 competition Leo's are $180. L3 are $50. L6 and up are $95.

Welcome to competitive gymnastics. My dd is level 10. She is going to a 3 day camp next week for $300 (plus we have to stay in a hotel at our expense) and she will probably do a couple of weekend camps over the season that will be about the same. My experience is that while comp leos may last a number of years we replace ours every 2 years due to style changes. Ours was about $200 last year. We actually have cheap tuition because we are a YMCA but I pay $250 per month for 24 hours of practice.

Yep... yep it is an expensive sport......

We pay $273 a month tuition for Options (which i hear is relatively inexpensive..)

We do sleep away camp.. and that is about $700.. (Not counting spending money)

Our comp leos were very reasonable last time $95!

You leos are cheap compared to ours. The whole uniform (long sleeved leo, warm up with customized jacket and matching Crocs) is about $500. But, we do use it for two years. And it is somewhat offset by our relatively cheap tuition ($170 per month for 11 hours a week of practice). We also have two week long, half day camps for $135 each. They are not required.

You know your kid is in an expensive sport when you seriously consider having your paycheck direct deposited to the gym account since that is where it is going to wind up anyway :rolleyes:

You know your kid is in an expensive sport when you seriously consider having your paycheck direct deposited to the gym account since that is where it is going to wind up anyway :rolleyes:

:rotfl:
My dds team went to a 3 day camp which was $180.
I think our gk competition leo was $68 and the warm up was $38. I better not even tell you guys what I pay a month for dds level 5 class fee cause you would all hate me. :p

I wonder if the costs are a function of where we all live as well??? I live near Washington, D.C.... for what that's worth:

Monthly tuition L6: $278.00 (14.5 hrs. per week)

leotard: $88.00 (although the owner said the gym took a "loss" when they were ordered... something about them actually costing more, but the parents had already paid, so they just absorbed the loss)

Warmups: 150.00

Workout bags (cheap ones): $25.00

Gym membership (each yeare): $100.00

Private lessons (if needed): $35.00 per half hour; $60.00 per hour

2 week summer camp at $227.00/wk: $454.00

IGC for 1 week: $820.00 (with a group of 10 or more)

Ohhhhh... WHY did I add it all up????

Its much cheaper for them to sit at home and watch television!:D

Oh, I tell myself all the time, "this is such an expensive sport!" Let's see...

Leo- $150

Warm ups- $70

Tuition- $250

Watching them have fun at the gym- Priceless.:D

Haha, take my fee and double it. Good thing I didn't have triplets ;)

You're right - we all hate you!!! Just kidding - I can't believe that is all you pay - I am so jealous it isn't even funny.

You know - the other expense I haven't seen anyone adding into their budgets is the doctors bills and x-rays. This year my dd has had x-rays for her broken elbow, toe, when she fell on her next and recently her wrist. I know it is bad when I switched orthopedists saying if she is going to continue gymnastics I need an ortho closer to home :eek:

Gymmom 14. I would say the camp fee is reasonable, the leo is a pretty expensive one. Just hope she doesn't hit a growth spurt and you have to buy another.
My gymmie just finished a 1 wk camp at her gym---5 hours of gymnastics plus 1 hour of dance---cost $330(comuter rate). If you don't do the camp then the child misses practice for 1 week. On the up side(some people are going to throw things at me)---that $330 was paid by the booster club. We had enough $ from bingo to cover the camp tuition for all team girls who had parents that worked bingo.

You're right - we all hate you!!! Just kidding - I can't believe that is all you pay - I am so jealous it isn't even funny.

You know - the other expense I haven't seen anyone adding into their budgets is the doctors bills and x-rays. This year my dd has had x-rays for her broken elbow, toe, when she fell on her next and recently her wrist. I know it is bad when I switched orthopedists saying if she is going to continue gymnastics I need an ortho closer to home :eek:
Haha Sorry :blush:

I know we just got a girl from another club and her mom just about had a cow when they told her how much it was a month, they had been paying hundreds every month -you should have seen the look on her face. And her DD gets more done with a smaller coach to gymnast ratio in 9hrs a week than she did in 20hrs a week at the other gym

:eek: I forgot about those expenses too. Of course my dd is a typical gymnast-she can do gymnastics but cant walk anywhere else without spaining something:p

I probably make up for the cheap rate just in gas since practice is 27 miles away and all the other clubs are about an hour and a half away. So it probably evens out wih you guys:D

Our camp week is included in our summer tuition350.00 per month for 21hrs a week, camp week is more hours 30hours. So it is about an extra 1000.00 for the summer. It seems like a fortune but when you break it down to money per hour it is somewhere around 4.50 per hour. I am amazed that alot of girls also go a week to a private camp which is an additional 1000.per week. This fall my daughter will be training 13 hours at 235.per month plus additional fees to compete around 1000.00 So that puts us over 4000.00 a year. Our leos where purchased for us by the money we raised at the meet we held and any extra money we have fundraised over our competion fees you can apply towards summer tution. I am seriously considering getting a second job to finance the gymnastics but with running to the gym back and forth several times a week I am not sure how I will fit it in. Unfortunately daughter is very attached to her gym and was addicted to gymnastics before I realized the expenses by the way nobody tells you how much it costs until your daughter is already on the team and then it is too late!!!:rolleyes:

Wow! I am surprised that almost everyone has an expensive camp too.

I guess my point is:
Total Camp Week Hours: 25
Total Regular Workout hours 18

* If you do not go to camp, you do your reg. workouts hours
*Camp also includes lunch breaks and one afternoon they go do a fun non-gymnastics activity.

Even if they get 1/2 hrs lunch per day = 2.5 hours
Plus the afternoon they have their fun time- 2 hours

Total time not doing gymnastics 4.5 hours
Actual camp time is 20.5

Only 2.5 more hours for $135!!

I don't get it!!!:confused:

So my thought is: All the extra money for what? It is not really much extra gym time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back