This is the year of injury - UGH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Well on Friday DD tells me that her back hurts. When I ask what she did she didn't know as it has been hurting since LAST TUES!!!! Yikes!!! Ok after the lecture of she needs to tell me when things aren't feeling right she tells me she thought she could handle it. Miss practice Sat to give back a rest. Sun she had a HS meet and of course told me back felt better (not) and made it through vault and bars before breaking down and telling coach her back was hurting soi coach scratched her from floor and beam.

So Mon she has no school so it will be off to the DR's. I'm hoping its just a pulled muscle and will be fine with a few days rest.

This will be the 3rd injury this season. She has never had such bad luck like this with the injuries ever.

Need your healing faries again!!!
:(

I hope everything goes well at the Dr's. Poor thing can't seem to catch a break this year! Crossing fingers and toes that it is nothing major! BTW...my DD will go for quite some time before she will tell me something hurts. I think they are so worried about missing something that they don't think ahead to what more they could miss if they are not proactive about injuries.

Bummer! Hopefully it's nothing serious and she's back in the gym soon. I dealt with muscle spasms in my back as a gymnast (and now if I spot/lift something the wrong way or overdo it) and while they were nothing serious, they were unbelievably painful. Hopefully your DD's condition is something similar that is manageable and will quickly go away with some rest and stretching exercises. Let us know how the appointment goes.

Just got back from DR. Nothing for sure yet. They sent her for x-rays to rule out stress fractures if nothing shows then they want an MRI - UGH I asked them to lets just do the MRI first nope they want the x-rays first. I am still hopeful it is a strain that will clear up soon but I think DR is thinking Stress fractures YIKES every girl I know that had that ended up having to stop Gymnastice for good. My DD is upset worrying about that possibility. She has been prohibited from Physical Ed and Sports not even contidtioning and stretching until tests come back and they re-evaluate her back - No follow up appt until after test results are reviewed . She is NOT happy at all. I think she will not be doing meets at least until sectionals in March at the earliest I didn't tell her that though I'm hoping she will be back to practice within the next 3 weeks.

Don't know what we are going to do if she is done with gymnastics. It will be a hysterical cry fest if that is how it ends up

Glad you got her in to see the doctor quickly. Don't go down the road of no more gymnastics until you know something for sure. She has had a really tough year----its got to get better.

I hope they can get results back to you both quickly. Does it take a while to get a MRI appt? Continuing to send healing thoughts your way.

Ok RESULTS ARE IN!!!

x-ray is negative - Dr said it looks like strong healthy bones good news there but still wants us to follow up with ortho DR. So we have an appt tomorrow after school. This is the same one we use for her shoulder and her knee and the good part is no waiting for MRI Appts or Cat Scan appt. They have their own equipment and will do it right there at the appt.

She also had blood drawn as she did complain about being dizzy so I asked for her iron to be checked as that was what she was complaining about last year when it took a good 3 months to get her iron back up to normal - And YUP she is slightly anemic again. Not too bad this time as we caught it right away Not sure what they measure but she should be at 12 and she is at 11. So we go back in 4 - 6 weeks to get blood done again to see if there is any improvement. They suggested because it isn't that low that she increase iron in her diet and take an iron suppliment once each week and see if that helps along with her multi vit with iron.

So for now its looking ok will know more hopefully tomorrow after Follow up. Keep those healing fariys and prayers coming - the power of prayer I think is real and can really help. Nothing like positive thinking

Sure does seem like it is the year of the injury!And oh no about the stress fracture part because a friend at another gym was diagnosed with one last week,shes out of gym for a month and another of PT.hopefully it doesnt end gymnastics for either of them:)

Glad the xray came out ok, now let's hope for an uneventful appt with the ortho. So sorry you and she are going through this. :( :(

Well, at least a bit of good news that the X-rays were negative! Glad you are following up with an ortho MD to be absolutely sure.

So sorry she is having such problems. But really glad that it wasnt a fracture. Hope they are able to figure it out at the orthos. Please keep us posted on how things go

(((hugs)))
Let us know what the ortho says... Fingers crossed that your DD can be back in the gym, injury free, in the near future!

So glad that the results came back negative for stress fx. Maybe her body is just saying that it needs to 'come up for air' in between all those meets. What with doing club and HS....isn't she doing some crazy amount of meets (like 20?). I imagine that anyone's back would be hurting with so many meets in such a short amount of time

I was thinking that maybe next year to drop the HS gym. I was thinking too it might be more than her body can handle but its the club that has the majority of the meets at 16 this season and HS has a total of 7 including the states and Regionals. I think it might be the amount of practice because on the days she doesn't have club she does have HS and then the 2 days a week her club starts at 5pm she is at HS practice after school until 4pm. I am going to talk to her HS coach to see if she can be excused from the practice where she is at the club practicing and only do HS practice the one before any meets.

DD won't be happy with me next year if I nix the HS but I think that is what is going to happen. I wan't her to be involved but there are so many other less impacting sports she could try.

I know that, in our area, HS gym is not s particularly big deal and therefore very little money is given to the sport. I would love for DD to be able to do HS gym when she's old enough (if the HS still has a team by then) but I worry about the safety of the equipment. Looking at the ancient cast-off equipment in the HS gym makes me wonder what people would say if we sent the football team out onto the field with cardboard boxes on their heads instead of helmets. Hopefully it's better at your DD's HS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back