This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
So as previously suggested guys, that we start a 2010 version of what we accomplished thus far in our week, here it is, hopefully this thread will continue to go as strongly as the last one!

This week I did BHS on the tramp with the belt, and it was WICKED fun, gave a whole different feeling than when I was being spotted. And I fell a lot so far this week too, and it's only Tuesday!!

Can't wait to hear what everyone else has been up to!!

So far I have a accomplished finally doing my fhs vault using the springboard. Working back to doing rdo bhs backtucks and layouts on floor (finally). Also with the new coach's wife I'm finally learning how to do good leaps, jumps and turns on floor and beam. I'm finally connecting my kip cast squat on. Working on a lot of bar skills so have to keep you up to date as far as those go.

great job gals. i haven't been in the gym for two weeks because my finger decided to swell up to a giant size. it likes to do this in january?!
i'm very anxious to get back in the gym because we have a power tumbling meet in the end of january.

Friday I worked on my backwalkover backtuck dismount on hotdog beam. The only problem is I'm having shoulder issues and its making me do my backwalkover crooked. Hopefully I will correct that this week. I also did my jump fullturn perfect on floor (I'm just not sure I'm ready to do it on beam) but besides that nothing special to write about right now. Thinking about resting a little more this week because of my shoulder and because I think last week by friday I was just not with it, plus one of the girls is away this week. Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about your accomplishments throughout the beginning of this new year. Oh, by the way, Katy, what is a power tumbling meet. I never heard of that before. It sounds like fun.

My boys had a meet yesterday, and between sessions I and a couple of the other coaches were playing around on rings and pommels. One coach hopped up on rings to see if he could still do an iron cross.

Which of course meant I was required by the laws of being a guy to get up and show him up.

I hopped up, did a back uprise cross, and held for what felt like a couple minutes (though it was probably more like to 10-15 seconds) while casually conversing with the other coaches.

Felt great at the time, but hurts today.

power tumbling has three events:
rod floor - 100 feet long and you do 2 passes with 8 skills. my 2nd pass is ro whip 5 bhs layout. but the really good people do ro whips, twisting whips, double backs, and end with triple twisting double layouts! its so fun to watch them.
double mini - an angled trampoline connected to a 5' trampoline and again 2 passes. so you bounce on the angled part, flip to the flat part and flip off.
trampoline - a routine with 10 connected skills.
i'm quite new to it, but they are very encouraging at my gym and they let us compete artistic and power tumbling.
i think that my tumbling on floor has become so much stronger because of working the rod floor. soon i won't need my coach to stand there for fulls. he doesn't do anything, but i want help on the landing - just incase.

I did a valdez! I couldn't even do one when I was young.

And a front layout. Wheeeee....

i think two weeks off helped my tumbling a lot. i felt very powerful, i was shocked and also very sore today!

Was pretty excited that I got my rdo bhs backtuck back on floor and did my fronthandspring good on floor. I also worked a lot on my turns, leaps and jumps and they are getting so much better. I also got my backwalkover backtuck dismount on beam and did my first layout flyaway on bars (with the belt on but it still made me feel good to try it for the first time). Overall I felt like i had a good week just hope next week is just as good.

great week! lots of power tumbling because of the meet, but last night i did two of all my artistic routines, and we finally vaulted. i did my cartwheel bhs on medium beam with 2 8" mats, stuck both. put some ro bhs bt in the floor routine to working the timing of the music.
i was very happy with the tumbling meet. rod floor was very powerful. my coach said my back tuck was two feet higher than normal (which totally threw off the timing for my punch front, so i did a standing punch front to my derriere). landed all three double mini passes. tramp was going really well, and then half way through i completely forgot my routine! as soon as i took that extra bounce i just saluted and said that i forgot the rest. they looked at my very puzzled because i did it in warm up. and i was by far the oldest girl there, ha ha, and my teammate was the second oldest, and usta does not let us wear shorts. i spoke to one of the judges (also a usta important person, chair, committee or something), and she said that they had a two hour discussion about shorts. she's in favor, but couldn't convince everyone else.
next meet - artistic in ohio.

Katy,
It's so great that you get to participate in T&T and also WAG! That must be a lot of fun. :) Good luck with your next meet.

Good job kylie and katy!!

Well, it wasn't this week, it was actually over a week ago, but I landed several FHS on a hard mat covering a resi pit. Had someone finally spot me on my handstand on beam so I could feel what it is like to be completley vertical, and know that my shoulder is not going to pop out of place(I have a double joint in my right shoulder, make handstands scarier for me than most, b/c my shoulder does pop a lot), and if it DOES move in the joint, how to hold it in. So that was a HUGE help.

On a funny note. Did bars without my grips, went to go do a BHC, forgot I didn't have my grips on, and when I went to shift my wrists, compensating for where the dowel usually is, yeah, I let go and fell flat on my back. It was actually pretty funny. And of course, it was one of the practices my husband was watching lol!

I am so close to my kip I can almost taste it. Maybe next week. I've been working alot on the dance parts of my floor routine. That's it for this week. Just getting back in to things after a few weeks off around the holidays.

it is so weird to do bars without grips once you get used to it. i had already taken my grips off, and then decided to do so kip casts. it was a very different feeling when i did a bhc out of one of the cast.
nicci-go figure that your hubby was there to watch you peel. my hubby has been to two practices (lots of begging and pleading), he can't handle the music (the radio is playing if the team girls aren't on floor), and he is super worried that i'll get hurt.

jmr-i find it helps to have a strong stomach for kips. do some pike ups/v ups after practice and on your off days. just in case you don't know what a pike up is...lay on your back and reach up, touching your fingers to your toes, bending your body into a v.
have you had your kip before or it this the first time you'll get it? kips are all timing and strength. good luck

Pilates is the greatest conditioning I've found for gymnastics. My coach and his wife came by and they loved the studio. Its great because you do tons and tons of core work and body weight exercising and jumpboard is great for plyometrics for the legs and interval work. If you've never tried the reformer you should find a studio nearby and try it out.

I have taken a few pilates classes since starting gymnastics, and I have not found it to be very challenging. Perhaps it was too low of a level class. It was still fun though, and a nice change of pace to regular conditioning.

Anyway, this week I took my front tuck to air track and resi pit. Merely succeeded in landing on my tush several times and my back once or twice. Its funny, b/c I have no problem with doing it properly when going into the foam pit, or the resi mat from the tumble track, but take it to something that starts to resemble floor, and it's all over lol. Handstands on beam are finally starting to get so much better, starting to feel a lot stronger and more secure in them, so it doesn't bother me that I don't get anywhere near to vertical in them, I am on the right track to getting them there. It's amazing what just a couple more hours in the gym will do for things, and extra encouragement as well. Oh, and I almost got my right split back after having lost it to a badly pulled hamstring muscle, but today I can barely move lol

nothing like a meet in two weeks to light a fire under your...derriere! practiced all four events last night. good bars and floor. not feeling the cartwheel bhs or the vault right now. i want to vault on the three setting, but the other gals all vault on 5. seriously, have you ever stood next to the vault on 5? i'm only 5 foot, and i can't even see over the flippin' thing!
for the first time even...front tuck, round off, whip, back handspring, shushunova!!!

*blink*

Roundoff layout-half punch front.

Where did THAT come from?

*blinks again, wanders off*

I actually did front tuck-round off- backhandspring both friday and yesterday. Yay, one step closer to a two-salto pass:D

(Okay, it was from a springboard onto a non spring floor, so now I just have to translate it onto a spring floor, but it definitely was an improvement:))

Hope it's ok if I join in here...

I had my first ever gymnastics class last night, and had SO much fun! I stuck a cartwheel on low beam with mats stacked up a few times (but mostly swung over to the side too much), fixed up my round-off and had my first ever go on bars. With a spot I did a pullover then cast back hip circle! The last few times I felt like I was really getting them hang of it, so hopefully next week I can start to get it with less of a spot. It was going really well until the coach decided I should jump to the high bar.. I knew I wasn't feeling confident enough to make it and when I eventually jumped I only grabbed on with one hand and got 2 HUGE rips as I slipped off (aagh!).

So, a few questions - they cut off the flaps of skin and put some sort of alcohol on the rips and then taped them over. What do I do now? Keep them covered so they stay clean? Or let them air so they harden up? And how can I avoid getting them next time? Use chalk?

Sorry for all the questions, and hope you don't mind me joining in :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back