Parents Though it's been asked many times, many ways (Xcel to JO)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm in a similar situation with my DD who was level 3 and after this meet season her gym started an xcel program where they seemed to have tracked all the older (anyone over 9) girls. My daughter is not happy with the new program and wants to go back to JO. I also feel like her gym is acting like the "gym gods" in their placement of the girls. My daughter would be in the gym 20 hours or more a week if she had the chance. Please keep us up to date on your outcome. I'm currently trying to figure out how to handle my own similar situation. Good luck!
:( This is so sad. My dd's first season she was 9 on old level 4 (now 3), and she was a level 10 by age 14. I don't understand why gyms think age has any bearing on the outcome of training. I understand a new 13+ year old, but even then if they have the work ethic and pick up skills quickly they can petition to optionals due to age and have a great gymnastics experience. I have seen MANY a talented, promising 5/6 year old quit before ever reaching optionals, burn out, get blocks, injuries, growth spurts, the desire to have more social time, etc., and never make it to the top levels. I've also seen older girls work their booties off and become quite good, if not great, gymnasts and an asset to their team. I love a team with a wide age range; the older girls learn to be leaders and patient and work with younger kids, and the younger girls have good role models to look up to and also work together. My dd's level 1 team has ages 5-12, and they are an awesome group of girls.

:( This is so sad. My dd's first season she was 9 on old level 4 (now 3), and she was a level 10 by age 14. I don't understand why gyms think age has any bearing on the outcome of training. I understand a new 13+ year old, but even then if they have the work ethic and pick up skills quickly they can petition to optionals due to age and have a great gymnastics experience. I have seen MANY a talented, promising 5/6 year old quit before ever reaching optionals, burn out, get blocks, injuries, growth spurts, the desire to have more social time, etc., and never make it to the top levels. I've also seen older girls work their booties off and become quite good, if not great, gymnasts and an asset to their team. I love a team with a wide age range; the older girls learn to be leaders and patient and work with younger kids, and the younger girls have good role models to look up to and also work together. My dd's level 1 team has ages 5-12, and they are an awesome group of girls.

AMEN to all of this, especially to the life lessons that come with a team made up of all ages.

My dd was the same, first year old L5 at 9, and was L10 by 14. I never understand this mindset; it's silly. You'd think that gyms would LIKE this kind of kid, since they theoretically would be less prone to injury!

So I have a further update, which is that there has been no movement since the coach spoke to my daughter, and my husband and I are left feeling pretty frustrated. The coaches haven't spoken to us, and haven't responded to the emails we've sent asking if they will give DD the opportunity to move to their JO track. It's been over three weeks since the coach spoke to my daughter, and we're trying to figure out if we need to move her or not. I know it's meet season and they are busy, but it seems like there should be a few spare minutes to respond to a parent. The coaches rarely leave the floor while we're at the gym so it isn't easy to snag them for a conversation, and emails are going unanswered. DD's hopes were sky-high after that conversation with the coach, but now she feels really let down.

I know it's frustrating. I'm not sure about your gym, but my DD's gym doesn't make any team changes until after states. However, I would definitely approach the office about unanswered emails. Even if you do t get an answer on changing teams, just an acknowledgment that they received it.

Reactions: RTT
I would sit tight for now. They are not going to make any decisions\changes during the competition season. Just wait until after states and then approach them again. If nothing changes within 2-3 weeks after states, then start checking with other gyms.
For now just tell your DD to work hard and do her best. They've already noticed her, they already know this is what she wants. She just needs to work hard to show them that she really deserves it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back