Thoughts on first day of women's qualification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like this year the USA is not the powerhouse that it has been for the last 8 years or so in WAG. But, I also don't think that Russia or China came out today like I thought they would, with amazing routines and poised to take the gold medals. This truly did feel like watching a bad optional meet for the most part--there were some great things, but I'm talking overall. I'm pretty sure the Level 10 and elite training team at my dd's gym could have competed yesterday/today and not looked out of place.

The two Venezuelan girls in session 1…

Oh… my…

GOD. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Very scary and upsetting for me to watch.
Okay, I am not there but I saw some crazy low scores for Venezuela. Like out of place scores. What was going on? No videos of them of course yet (and not sure there will be).

Argh...well that was a rough, emotional day 2. I am no longer going to mention any gymnasts names, since everyone I mentioned routing for before the competition has gone down to injury or made mistakes in qualifying that cost them finals. BUT lets just say I am very impressed by the gymnast destined to single handedly bring back the Dorothy Hamil. Love the aggressiveness of her gymnastics and hope she rocks finals.

My dd and I are in love with her- once she got on the floor- I was like this athlete LOVES her sport! Totally shined through!

I know that we dare not same names to avoid unfortunate events (I am looking you @profmom :D), but can I get more context clues on the "one with the Dorothy Hamill" (country et al)? I just watched the US qualifying routines on Youtube and had the following reactions:
  • Morgan is such a beautiful gymnast. She could be outstanding on floor if she can get her landings together. I know she had a pretty good balance check, but her beam score seemed low relative to Ragan who fell.
  • Ragan fell on her layout on beam??? I knew she fell, but I thought it would be on ... anything else. Kudos to her on floor after the prior errors -- she's not my cup of tea stylistically, but she did well.
  • The floor final is going to be close. I think Jade could easily pick up a couple tenths, but the rest of the world seems close on their heels.

I'd love to see a podium with three of Murakami, de Jesus dos Santos, Alt, Melnikova, Eremina, and Hurd.

I can't get behind Smith - her choreo/presentation is far too cutesy to be a world champion, it should have stayed in JO - or Black, who's solid, but boring.

I'm very disappointed that Larisa and Andrade are out, especially Larisa, but it should be a good fight tomorrow, probably for the minor medals (I'm expecting Smith to take gold, now that Larisa is out.)

Paseka's vaults hurt my eyes o_O

85e0fec2-6eff-45d5-8398-bee4736fab30
View attachment 6903

whoa....

That is what I thought too. Scoring took a long time, but I felt they were well scored.
Ellie did not fall, she touched the beam, that is a 0.5 deduction. Morgan has some big wobbles that easily added up to the same.
I get that Morgan wobbled a bit but the touch and the arm swings and major wobbles trying to recover should have counted as much or more than a fall....especially with how hard the judges were scoring the other gymnasts. I was very surprised.

I get that Morgan wobbled a bit but the touch and the arm swings and major wobbles trying to recover should have counted as much or more than a fall....especially with how hard the judges were scoring the other gymnasts. I was very surprised.

The whole flail that led to the beam grab is counted in the 0.5 deduction. It is "the fall". They do not deduct for all the attempts to stay on individually. Whereas the individual wobbles and balance checks are deducted.

Wobbles etc can cost a lot in FIG.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back