WAG Three passes in L6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Obviously I’m asking for a friend, and I know this has been discussed before, but is there any advantage to doing three tumbling passes in L6? A couple friends I’ve discussed this with already and I think it’s just asking for deductions. My friend is brand new to learning about optionals and I think I freaked her out! Does anyone have any positive stories/theories why this is a good plan? Thanks!

Well, you know Jules's level 6 vs 7 saga. She originally had a lv 7 routine choreographed with 3 passes. When she had to repeat lv 6 they obviously had to cut the time, and took one pass out. Also, most of the other lv 7s only have 2 passes. The choreographer, who is also a judge, said most states are going to two passes for lv 7 to keep it cleaner. She also said NY is kind of late to the game with this.

Mine does 3, not all the girls do. She did in 6 and its currently in her 7 floor. I'm not sure why but our gym doesn't do more then necessary since they are of the don't invite more deductions by doing more then necessary type of gym.

I assume its to get required elements in. My guess she would be taking a bigger hit on something else so its a third pass.

Mine does 3, not all the girls do. She did in 6 and its currently in her 7 floor. I'm not sure why but our gym doesn't do more then necessary since they are of the don't invite more deductions by doing more then necessary type of gym.

I assume its to get required elements in. My guess she would be taking a bigger hit on something else so its a third pass.
L6 tumbling requirements are incredibly basic- you can get by with less than the L5 passes and still have a full start value. There is really no logical reason to need three passes in L6.

L6 tumbling requirements are incredibly basic- you can get by with less than the L5 passes and still have a full start value. There is really no logical reason to need three passes in L6.
I'm sure its related to required skills of hers that are/were not good yet. And L6 is now in the rear view mirror.

I don't know a lot but I know she wouldn't be doing it unless she absolutely had to. So its making up for something lacking elsewhere.

My DD did a couple of L6 meets and did 2 passes, but has done 3 since level 7. She has scored very high with 3 so I don't think that it is necessary to only do the minimum, especially if floor is a strength.

I'm sure its related to required skills of hers that are/were not good yet. And L6 is now in the rear view mirror.

I don't know a lot but I know she wouldn't be doing it unless she absolutely had to. So its making up for something lacking elsewhere.
Obviously it worked out for your daughter but honestly, I can’t think of a single scenario when it would be necessary- not to say the gym didn’t have a reason, but required tumbling couldn’t have been it. All you need is a connected pass of three acro skills (can be robhsbhs) and one other acro skill (could be a single ft). The only thing to come from three passes is stamina and deductions.

My DD did a couple of L6 meets and did 2 passes, but has done 3 since level 7. She has scored very high with 3 so I don't think that it is necessary to only do the minimum, especially if floor is a strength.
Its not doing "the" minimum. Its doing the "individual" child minimum that can be done cleanly. You do the skills you do best for the least amount of deductions.

And it is also a gym choice on how they do things.

Our gym does 3 for L6. And even though it does invite more deductions, I think they do it to show off skills, especially with the wide variance on L6. Their sense was that it made the girls look more advanced. Not sure that is true, however. I also think they did it to prepare them for L7.

Her passes are full, ROBHSBL then FHSFT and the music is 1:07. I personally would cut out the full and chop the music a few seconds. HC said it’s because she’s not super dancy but is very powerful. She’s only 9 and did very well at L4 last season (nothing lower than 36.7, which is great for this area) so I think they are thinking long term and prepping her for L7. That’s interesting that you NY guys are seeing three in L7. I feel like it’s mostly two here. Maybe Upstate is even more late to the game. Lol thanks everyone! Great perspectives. :)

Obviously it worked out for your daughter but honestly, I can’t think of a single scenario when it would be necessary- not to say the gym didn’t have a reason, but required tumbling couldn’t have been it. All you need is a connected pass of three acro skills (can be robhsbhs) and one other acro skill (could be a single ft). The only thing to come from three passes is stamina and deductions.
Given my kids lack of enthusiasm for dance it could be as simple as filling up time to meet the minimum time. She does not like to dance and it would show. .................. :):):):)

Well, you know Jules's level 6 vs 7 saga. She originally had a lv 7 routine choreographed with 3 passes. When she had to repeat lv 6 they obviously had to cut the time, and took one pass out. Also, most of the other lv 7s only have 2 passes. The choreographer, who is also a judge, said most states are going to two passes for lv 7 to keep it cleaner. She also said NY is kind of late to the game with this.
The number of tumbling passes has nothing to do with the state, its what the gymnast and coach want. If all requirements are met, a gymnast can get by with 1 pass (it's been done). If they have great skills and won't incur more deductions, then 3 passes can work for them. If they are planning to score out of 7, get the choreography to have 3 passes so the level 8 routine won't need much tweaking. It's all about what the gymnast/coach wants.

I'd say for level 6 its better to do 2 passes due to the lower requirements and possibility of more deductions with a 3rd pass.

The number of tumbling passes has nothing to do with the state, its what the gymnast and coach want. If all requirements are met, a gymnast can get by with 1 pass (it's been done). If they have great skills and won't incur more deductions, then 3 passes can work for them. If they are planning to score out of 7, get the choreography to have 3 passes so the level 8 routine won't need much tweaking. It's all about what the gymnast/coach wants.

I'd say for level 6 its better to do 2 passes due to the lower requirements and possibility of more deductions with a 3rd pass.

Yes, I know it has nothing to do with the state; I was relaying that a prominent choreographer told me that in more and more states she is seeing a trend of "less is more", including 2 clean passes at lv 7.

Her passes are full, ROBHSBL then FHSFT and the music is 1:07. I personally would cut out the full and chop the music a few seconds. HC said it’s because she’s not super dancy but is very powerful. She’s only 9 and did very well at L4 last season (nothing lower than 36.7, which is great for this area) so I think they are thinking long term and prepping her for L7. That’s interesting that you NY guys are seeing three in L7. I feel like it’s mostly two here. Maybe Upstate is even more late to the game. Lol thanks everyone! Great perspectives. :)
Maybe the full is her only B skill??? Maybe it is cleaner than a tuck jump full or a cat leap full or pike jump or 3/2 turn or any of the other B dance skills. That would be the only reason I can think of to have the full .... and if that is the case, I would drop the front pass (and save it for L7).
I dont know what coaches are thinking when they choreograph things to fit the length instead of cutting the length to fit the choreography.
That being said, we have an Xcel Gold that may or may not compete this year. The music she picked is 1:06 (too long for Xcel Gold). She is also new and is only in Xcel because she will be in 7th grade next year. One of our HS / L8 choreographed the routine to fit the length. The girl is NOT very dancey and NOT a strong tumbler (not competing because she doesnt have either of the required tumbling passes yet).
I found a natural stopping point in the music at about 39 seconds. We have a few girls with routines around that length - a couple even shorter. The choreographer said she could redo it ... but she never got around to it. Then the XG coach said she talked to HC and the girl could use the music that was "just over a minute" and it would be fine. Whatever. lol

Minimum time for any level is 30 seconds, for level 6 the max time is 1:15.

Most level 6 routines have only 2 passes (yes, you could have 3, but at that level it makes more sense to not add unneeded skills).

Level 7 you can still do just two passes - again, keeps it clean. However, I see a mix in level 7 because once you get to 8 you really need 3 passes (although technically you could get away with two as long as both passes fulfilled the acro requirements).

I would think that one reason to have a level 6 routine with 3 passes is because the plan is not to keep the gymnast at level 6 very long (and based on her passes I would think that could be the case) - so lets say she does one meet at 6, then goes to 7 and then next season goes to 8 - if she already has 3 passes she wouldn't need a new routine and she would be used to competing 3 passes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back