WAG Three week vacation opportunity: WWYD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
I'm stressing about an amazing opportunity. We've been invited to do a three week bike trip through Italy in June (kids on tandems w/adults). I'm likely a CGM but I'm struggling to say yes due to gym. DD is a 9 YO level 6.

Upside:
- She'd stay conditioned from biking (we did this at Level 3 and went back fine)
- DD is fine with missing gym for this
- Timing isn't awful. We'd come back in time for DD to do a 4 day college camp over July 4 break and then July/August summer practice. Meet season starts January.

Downside:
- DD just recovered from an injury, def. develops fears of lost skills.
- Would miss 3 weeks of gym, 4 weeks with her own coaches.

What would you do?

Take the trip. Once in a lifetime opportunity and she will remember it. Cardio and leg strength benefit from the trip; she can stretch at night. If she was a Lvl 9 or 10, my answer might be different.

Take the trip. We were faced with something similar and chose the trip, don't regret it at all. And our trip was a month and worse timing (got back about a month before the first competition).

Bike trip is a memory of a lifetime that I wouldn't want DD to miss. I would of course talk to the coaches well in advance to create a plan together for her progress before and after the trip to head off unexpected repercussions.

Go. If I were your kid I probably wouldn't want to miss gym, but in the long run it's better. She will have plenty of time and plenty of gymnastics memories in the future. If you are really worried get a conditioning sheet and flexibility, and do it for a few minutes a day.

Level 6? Absolutely go.
If she stays in the sport, then at L10 you may have to give up opportunities like this, so enjoy it now.
If she doesn't stay in the sport, you will probably later regret not going.
Either way, I would go.
Gymnasts miss out all the time for that length of time when they are injured and the are able to get back in relatively short time.

My DD is also a level six and will be missing three weeks this summer in order to travel to Washington DC for a week and to Puerto Rico for two weeks for service learning trips. I assured her that it's a thousand percent worth it regardless of any affect on gym. Have an amazing trip and don't think a thing about it..

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back