Parents Throw-back challenge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
It's not Thursday, so we can't call it Throw Back Thursday, but...

I was doing a little searching to see if I could dig up some of the old posts with "how to choose a new gym" type info for another post and I came across a thread of mine from when DD was just switching gyms. She was 10. She is now 13 and has been at the new gym for 3 seasons (2 very successful seasons and... well... this past season). It made me nostalgic to read it. I also remember how angst-filled that "deciding to switch" time was for us.

Here is a link to that thread... http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/childs-guilt-about-switching-gyms.34315/

It also made me smile that some of the people who posted encouraging things to me back then are the same people on CB I turn to for encouragement now! I feel like they're old friends. :)

So, my challenge to those of you who have been on CB for a while now is to go back and find an old thread or post of yours. Maybe from a pivotal time, like mine was, or maybe one that makes you cringe or makes you think, "if I knew then what I know now..." or a particularly proud moment or whatever. Post the link here. DO NOT REPLY WITHIN THE OLD THREADS... yours or anybody else's. It makes Bog grumpy. ;) If you want to comment on your old thread/post, or on anybody else's, do it here.

Ugh! I was GOOFY! But so excited about the journey.

She is a pre-team (level 2.5 is how I like to describe her) 6YO with big blue eyes, bouncy curls, and a dislike of the beam and mill circles.

She is very active and has been in "gymnastics" since 18 months when we took a Mommy and Me class. My exhusband and I were in an apartment at the time and needed a way to blow out some energy before she tore the curtains down.

She has been in some kind of class ever since. She cannot walk from point A to point B with at least two roundoffs and a handstand. God forbid there be any kind of bar in the state that she hasn't pulled over and back hip circled.

She is in 1st grade and I get to brag that she can read on a 5th grade level. She loves silly bands, riding her bike, walking our beagle and papillon, and generally creating mayhem whenever she can. She plays soccer on a U8 team but hates it and will be quitting at the end of the season. I'm making her complete her commitment and I am a mean, horrible mother for doing so (just to let you know).

She still has a love/hate relationship with beam. Her reading skills have leveled off too. Hmmmmm.......

And we no longer have either dog. :-( The pap had to be re-homed and the beagle has to be put down when she developed cancer. :-(

Alright I'm game Mary. Here's my throwback:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-not-hate-this-sport.37127/

Not long after this we moved my daughter to a different gym where she not only competed her first optional season, but ended up skipping level 7 and competing 8. She also moved managed to jump from 8 to 9 without repeating, which for a kid who was "failing" seems like a pretty big accomplishment.

She's will never be a superstar, but she is a State Bars Champion for level 9. She tied for the highest bar score of any level 9 at states outscoring EVERY level 9 from the gym we left, including several girls who were repeating 9.

Probably "silly bands" are out too, huh?

Ugh! I was GOOFY! But so excited about the journey.

She still has a love/hate relationship with beam. Her reading skills have leveled off too. Hmmmmm.......

And we no longer have either dog. :-( The pap had to be re-homed and the beagle has to be put down when she developed cancer. :-(

Alright I'm game Mary. Here's my throwback:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-not-hate-this-sport.37127/

Not long after this we moved my daughter to a different gym where she not only competed her first optional season, but ended up skipping level 7 and competing 8. She also moved managed to jump from 8 to 9 without repeating, which for a kid who was "failing" seems like a pretty big accomplishment.

She's will never be a superstar, but she is a State Bars Champion for level 9. She tied for the highest bar score of any level 9 at states outscoring EVERY level 9 from the gym we left, including several girls who were repeating 9.
You are always saying that your DD isn't a superstar, but I totally think that she is!

Omg silly bands. I swear I was vacuuming those up daily for like 2 years. They finally banned them at gym. LOL

Awe, bog, that made me sad. Both my dd's have scoliosis and I worry about their backs. I have a feeling my oldest will be in a back brace soon. Her back does not hurt her at gym, but she limits walkovers to maybe 2 a practice. The dr actually said he thought the gymnastics would help the scoliosis because it keeps the core strong. We will see over time, but I do worry about them.

We know this could end at any time so we try to enjoy it and not put our expectations on them. This is their journey - and whatever journey that ends up being is fine with me.

I'm too new to have an throw-backs, but I can't wait to read the threads posted! What a wonderful idea!

Can I say though, loom bands? How far behind are we in Oz? They're everywhere here now. Including under every bit of furniture.
Perhaps you could give me a heads up on the next craft craze so we can be trendsetters :)

Interesting thread to think back at how far I've come with this sport. It's certainly a little embarrassing to know how ignorant I was in the beginning of this gymnastics ride. I think it's just part of a parent's journey and it's certainly a sport that impacts an entire family if you're in it long enough.

I tried to find a couple old threads, but couldn't easily identify them. The big three questions that I remember:

1. Does messy hair really mean lower scores? I think this was my first question - based on guilt thrown by DD's coach after her first states (even though she got medals in 4 out of 5 opportunities and a 2nd place on bars -- "her hair cost her more". Now, I LOL on this one).
2. When/why should move ups occur? I think this was my second question.
3. Should we change gyms? This was a huge decision and was glad I had place to bounce it off others. Funny, the answer seems so obvious looking back.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent wanting to learn more. Some times I feel like asking a question even on this board screams CGM. Okay, some times it does ;) (aside: there have been some wild posts here). But sometimes it's just a matter of trying to be a little bit more educated. About what really matters, why it matters, and when to consider big decisions like a gym change. And as always, I'm very thankful for the board.

Ok I've only been on here a little under 2 years, but found a post from when my daughter, now 8, was 6. Apparently she was all stressed out and overscheduled and losing her spark for everything. This is the thread:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/signs-of-burnout-in-young-gymnast.39760/

Happy to report that now she has gone down to 2 days a week of gym and dropped dance completely and is back to her old self. I guess she just really needs a good bit of downtime to stay happy. She is also getting less fearful than back then, as I was reminded from reading those old threads.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent wanting to learn more. Some times I feel like asking a question even on this board screams CGM. Okay, some times it does ;) (aside: there have been some wild posts here). But sometimes it's just a matter of trying to be a little bit more educated. About what really matters, why it matters, and when to consider big decisions like a gym change. And as always, I'm very thankful for the board.

Gosh, I am so thankful for ChalkBucket too! I have tried very hard to stay out of the way with my DD's gymnastics, but it is a family journey too (after all, I pay and I drive!), so I want to learn about it as she progresses. I honestly don't know where I'd be without all of you wise parents and coaches. I have certainly learned a lot! My DD loves gym and is enjoying it greatly and for that, I am grateful.

I've only been here a little longer a year, but I am also so thankful to CB members that I wanted to reply.
My first post a year ago was this:
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/question-about-prep-op-vs-jo-and-advice-needed.40288/

DD was on Xcel team, and I was so confused about the different programs, JO/Xcel/Prep-op, and why DD was in Xcel (they just put her there without any explanations).

The second important thread was this:
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/meet-report-and-a-beam-question.40782/page-2#post-232319

That's when I finally had a chance to talk to the HC, and he refused to switch DD to JO, didn't think she was good enough, or young enough, or whatever. I'm so thankful to everyone who told me that she wasn't too old, and it's too soon to tell if she is good enough or not, and go look for other gyms. I don't think the thought would have even crossed my mind. I knew nothing about gymnastics, and he was a great coach, and gym owner, and former Olympian, so I would have assumed that he was right, and she was not good enough.
Well, she's been in the new gym for almost a year now, competed L2 first half of the season, them moved up to L3, training for L4 now. She might not be "natural" or "amazing", she didn't get many medals as L3, but she is working hard and getting better and better every day. Her new coaches don't have any complains, and not once anyone told me that she is not good enough to be there. She loves her new gym, her coaches, teammates, and wouldn't even hear about going back to the old gym.
So, again, thank you to everyone who educated me, and convinced me to give my DD a chance!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back