WAG Tick Tocks???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
I need a new series on beam... My coaches and I found tick tock bhs since my bhs scores relatively well and the bhs bwo just got old. My tick tocks are great on floor. But when I moved it to the beam, I stood right up instead of doing the "bwo". I don't understand why this is happening.. I put my hands on the mats right next to the beam as well and was still able to make it. Just putting my hands on the beam changes the entire skill. Why is this ?

Maybe a shoulder flexibility issue? On beam your hands are closer together and this require a different shoulder position. When you do them in floor where dies your top leg stop? When I observe girls doing it on beam the leg never passes past vertical, which can be different than how some do it on floor as well

Make sure you're keeping your second leg up as your first foot lands on the beam, don't let it keep moving down. Also try to keep your weight on your hands instead of putting it on your foot, if you are very flexible and strong you can land your front walkover with a completely straight bottom leg just barely touching the tip of your toe keeping all weight on your hands, it looks beautiful i will try to find an example. IMO tho there are some skills that are easier to perform without mats up level with the beam, when you have the mats level with the height of the beam your hands cannot grab the beam, if you aren't scared try it on the high beam or at least without panel mats even with the beam so your hands can actually grab the beam and squeeze it. If you can't seem to get it there are plenty of other series you can do such as, bwo bhs, bhs bhs, handstand bhs, fwo bhs, cartwheel bhs, cartwheel round-off

here's a pretty good example of what i'm describing, i've seen people do it to the point where it's just their toes lightly touching the beam instead of a flat foot but this is still very good. The series starts at about 0:20

On beam your hands are closer together which means that you need better shoulder flexibility for this skill, but also means that it is harder to control your balance in the "handstand" phase of the FWO half of the skill. It's also harder to balance in a one-foot bridge on the beam than on the floor. Tic tocs are definitely a skill that take a lot of work on beam unless you are super flexible to start with. You need to have your shoulders very open/extended and you need your hips to be perfectly square.

-Work on a slow split handstand, fall to bridge on the low beam. Make it slow and controlled so you're not falling into a front limber, and keep your shoulders as extended as possible. Your hands should be on the beam, you can start with feet on panel mats next to the beam and then try to get them on the beam over time.

-Also practice holding a bridge on the beam, and then holding a bridge with one foot in the air.

-Kickovers on low beam for the second half of the skill, starting with one foot in the air, working on keeping your hips square so that you can land correctly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back