MAG Tight Hamstrings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Also, my son has wanted to try ballet. There is a dance studio next door, but fitting that in with gym will be tough.

I called the dance studio and they have a summer camp. He can try that and if he likes it, he can start ballet in the fall.

Hey everyone,

I encourage you to go watch this:

And, to go check out this blog article:

http://www.ericcressey.com/5-reasons-tight-hamstrings-strain

The hamstrings may not actually be tight. The human body is a system and you can't look at a total body system in isolation.

You have to evaluate many other things. I'd say that most athletes and especially gymnasts are in anterior pelvic tilt. The hamstrings are already stretched like a tight cord. Additional stretching is not a good thing. Work on strengthening the hamstrings, get the core functioning properly, and go read up on how to inhibit and/or stretch the hip flexors (rectus abdominis, TFL, etc.), lats, and back extensors, and you might see an instant increase in hamstring extensibility as this will re-position the pelvis into a more neutral anatomic position!

Enjoy!

Yep, possibly just a symptom rather than the cause. Which can be a headache trying to get a grasp on.

Hey everyone,

I encourage you to go watch this:

And, to go check out this blog article:

http://www.ericcressey.com/5-reasons-tight-hamstrings-strain

The hamstrings may not actually be tight. The human body is a system and you can't look at a total body system in isolation.

You have to evaluate many other things. I'd say that most athletes and especially gymnasts are in anterior pelvic tilt. The hamstrings are already stretched like a tight cord. Additional stretching is not a good thing. Work on strengthening the hamstrings, get the core functioning properly, and go read up on how to inhibit and/or stretch the hip flexors (rectus abdominis, TFL, etc.), lats, and back extensors, and you might see an instant increase in hamstring extensibility as this will re-position the pelvis into a more neutral anatomic position!

Enjoy!

Good to see you back here. Great post.

GymBoyzMom,
I agree. I feel that hip flexibility is not simply how "stretchy" the hamstrings are but also how strong the core and hip flexors are. The relationship of these two is what I refer to as "compression." I've been working on a presentation for some of the regional coaches congresses on this topic. I'm going to upload a pdf here about one of the drill sequences I have found of very high value. Please let me know if your guy finds the information helpful?

Attachments

• CompressionPBarSequence.pdf
    835.2 KB · Views: 44
My daughter is very tight in everywhere possible. Her legs won't straighten all the way. I know since you have a son instead of a daughter this will seem weird, but doing hot yoga helped my daughters flexibility GREATLY

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back