WAG Tight shoulders?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I can't necessarily tell, but in the picture she appears to have a balanced curve but not a "tall" bridge. This can equally be from hip flexibility. I actually disagree with only doing bridges with straight legs and think it's generally better to get the kids into a position where their glutes are activated and they're trying to push their hip bones up. And also pushing out from the chest. The goal is to not compress areas of the spine.

Another thing is not everyone's joints are the same. The reason I say this is because in the picture it appears to me (although I might not be right) that she MAY have an abnormal carrying angle in her elbow joint (vargus). This is a generally harmless variation in joint type. Which is fine for everyday life if it isn't extreme, but not ideal for gymnastics. It would be best to have a straighter joint for gymnastics. Kids who have a larger than average elbow carrying angle in gymnastics often have trouble with bridges and handstands with open shoulders, etc. I'm not enough of an expert to say why that is, whether it's because they're more prone to joint tightness, the joint shape promotes movement patterns that cause restrictions, or because they're simply more unstable in those positions. It's probably a combination of all three.

I'm not really sure though, it could also just appear that way from the way her hands are turned in. I'm not sure if she was instructed to do that or not.
That is very enlightening! I will have to keep that in mind. Not that it makes a difference per se, but I just like to know stuff ;)

I've been reading this thread with interest since my dd has tight shoulders. I found this video online with a shoulder stretch. Can anyone comment on if this is a good stretch?

She's not strong/stable enough in the handstand yet. She could kick that over (flexibility is not ideal but her shoulder displacement is enough). Actually after watching that it's hard for me to tell about the elbows. But she has a bit of an odd hand placement.

Work on handstands with her stomach to the wall trying to get the armpits flat on the wall and hold for 20-30 seconds. Then, facing the wall, she should place her hands about two feet away and slightly arch through her shoulders to get her feet to the wall. Hold it pushed tall, then do a mini kickover. Then try it bridging halfway down to the couch. If she insists on doing it, these would be safer ways to try. But I would encourage her to just do the handstands, and work on holding a freestanding handstand and balancing.

I feel the need to post this:
IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0476.jpg
IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0478.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg

The nerd in me loves those pages (feel like I want to read more too) :p. I imagine doing it correctly is harder than understanding it though!

She's not strong/stable enough in the handstand yet. She could kick that over (flexibility is not ideal but her shoulder displacement is enough). Actually after watching that it's hard for me to tell about the elbows. But she has a bit of an odd hand placement.

Work on handstands with her stomach to the wall trying to get the armpits flat on the wall and hold for 20-30 seconds. Then, facing the wall, she should place her hands about two feet away and slightly arch through her shoulders to get her feet to the wall. Hold it pushed tall, then do a mini kickover. Then try it bridging halfway down to the couch. If she insists on doing it, these would be safer ways to try. But I would encourage her to just do the handstands, and work on holding a freestanding handstand and balancing.
I will encourage more handstands! Now that you say it, I have noticed she's not very stable in handstand, she tends to go sideways easily. Maybe that's partly due to her hand placement... And she's hesitant on free handstand b/c she's worried she will go too far over but can't land in bridge. But I'm much more comfortable with her working handstands at home than bridging so we will happily work on that!

Championship Gymnastics: Biomechanical Techniques for Shaping Winners, by Dr. Gerald S. George. I met him at National Congress after his biomechanics lecture. Incredibly smart man who wrote an incredibly detailed and thorough book.
Thanks. I was going to ask same.

looked it up, and although it looks interesting at £650 a copy I shall not be getting one ! Looks like its very rare over here

looked it up, and although it looks interesting at £650 a copy I shall not be getting one ! Looks like its very rare over here
It's that much in the UK?! I got my copy for $80.00 I think, which is expensive, but I still regularly read it, and it has helped me tremendously. I consider it a great investment.

It starts at $290 for a used one here....up to almost $500! Must be a good book :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back