Coaches Time limit for 6/7 floor routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
For those of you who have kids compete the same optional floor routine for 2 years (to save their parents from having to pay choreography/music fees every year), what do you plan to do from L6-7 since the time limits are different? I'm tossing around a few ideas that would all work, but I'm curious what others are thinking.

Skipping 6, but most people I talk to are just going to use the shorter 6 version in 7 as well.

Gymjunkie; Good question. This year, the first year of the current "major changes" to USA G code/routines, I too am working with the new optional parents and athletes to make this transision comfortable. I am trying this year level 6 routines that I mastered 2 seperate pieces of music together customer for each L6. For next year I will substitute a different piece in order to make it "new,"add some classical dance movements (to be learned this year) and a bit longer to allow for the athlete's skill upgrades. The small routine change will not need "choreography" just some mods that could be done within normal practices. That is my intent and plan, for now.

Best wishes for you and your L6's, soon to be L7's, SBG-

For most of the girls, we have the same music in 2 (or even 3) lengths. We have a couple XL Gold that are eligible to compete L6, but don't have a B skill on each event yet. So, I have their music in 1:00, 1:15 (in case they go to L6) and 1:30 (in case they do XL Platinum or L7). Then, all they need is more dance and to substitute in their new passes.
Older Gymmie was XL Gold last year (with a 1:15 time limit). This year, they lowered the time limit to 1:00 and I cut last year's music as well as made a bunch of other ones. I did them all in 1:00 and 1:15 formats and several also in 1:30 format. OG was trying to choose between the music she used for 1 meet last year (Nationals- she had changed her music and ENTIRE FLOOR routine 2 weeks before Nationals) and one other one... but she couldn't figure out what choreography to do with the other one, so she kept her old music.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! Raenndrops, how easy is it to switch kids between JO and XL? We have never had kids compete XL before, but I'm thinking about it for a few kids.

The switch TO Xcel is easy. We actually had 8 girls make the switch to Xcel this season. It is more difficult to switch back unless they already made the minimum to move up in JO. Some of our girls were qualified to compete New L4 but didn't have the skills to move on. Other girls have fears they are working through, so it made more sense to do Xcel where they can play to their weaknesses.
If you have any more questions, feel free to message me. I am the Xcel expert for our team :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back