Time to Move Gyms???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you know when it's time move gyms? My DD has had the same coach for 3 years going on 4(not long...I know). My DD had a meet this weekend. Not a good meet for my DD. It has always been my motto to say as long as you are having fun, enjoying the sport and trying your best...Well my DD told my husband this morning that this weekends meet was not fun and she was looking forward to moving up to the next level next season to finally be away from her current coach. Other girls have moved up and gotten other coaches in our gym. My husband told her that we were told her coach was moving up with the girls also. Our DD is very upset. We feel as parents that the Coach has given up on our DD. She will say things to us like, "oh that's just the way she does that." "oh she'll never connect on bars this season." I feel why wouldn't you try to fix it. The kid is beating herself up but won't quit..I feel so bad. Should we look to move her to another gym?:confused:

Switching gyms is a really hard decision. Have you talked to your coach or any of the other coaches in the gym about your daughters feelings. Sometimes coaches get complacent and don't expect enough from some gymnasts they have had for years. Do you feel your daughter is still giving 100% and not getting that back from the coach? Research other gyms before switching, don't be afraid to go in and ask questions. Also give your daughter some time after a bad meet, maybe she was just frustrated. If her feelings continue and discussing it with the coaches doesn't help, a new gym would be the next step.

Been there and done that. That was one of the main reasons we switched gyms. My feeling was they had already decided what gymbabi was capable of and were content to let it ride that way. If we had stayed and moved on to the optionals coaches, I don't believe it would have been that way. Thier style is to get everything they can get out of each gymnast, but they also have more time to do so because they aren't coaching so many kids at once. So it's kind of a trade off. Sometimes in compulsories there's so many kids that the coaches just let them slide along wherever they fall in the pack, hoping to get them to the next level so they can get that individualized coaching they need to be really successful. All the girls on my daughters old team are now neck and neck with very little difference in their scores. GYmbabi could have been right in there with them too, coaches make all the difference.

Its so true that coaches really do make the difference! There has to be a connection between gymnast, coach and parents to make the relationship work- and make the gymnast successful while keeping it fun.

Gym Chix Mom

you know your daughter better then anyone... let her be your guide. If she is not happy then it may be time to at least visit other gyms and find out about their programs... it would be sad for her to lose interest in something she loves just because her coach was not a great fit anymore. I hope it works out for you guys.

LGCM

moving gyms

As a coach, it saddens me to see and hear that parents will go online to ask questions and concerns about their child and not think to go to the coach with them immediately. As a coach we are here to help guide every child we coach in the same direction..... Better gymnastics, higher levels, more skills, and of coarse a lot of fun in a great sport. If something is not going quite right, or to your likings as a parent, why wouldn't you go directely to the coach? We don't know anything is wrong if you don't tell us. Switching gyms is sometimes helpful. I will not say it isn't. However, if you have been at a gym for some time, I am sure you have built a nice relationship with the coach there. Go & TALK TO YOUR COACH!!!!!

Hard Decisions

That sounds like a really hard situation you are in! I am sorry. The coach I currently have is awesome. Some of you may know him. He is JBS. Creator of this site. He has known me for 8 years. His wife has known me for 10 years and they are both AMAZING!! coaches. I really enjoy being around them. they have always helped me through everything. They have never given up on me...sometimes they will get frustrated like when I started twisting out of back-tucks, layouts, any back tumbling where I would flip. They helped me fix the problem. Sometimes I get frustrated with them if i am having a bad night...but I get over it by the next day. If I were you I would talk to the coach and tell the coach your feelings. bring your daughter with you and explain the situation. he will most likely apologize and understand. if this continues, switch gyms. If your daughter LOVES the sport, which it sounds like she does, and the coach continues to do what you talked to him about and make your daughter sad then look into other gyms. First I would talk to the coach and express what the problem is. i hope everything goes well and she does well in her other meets. good luck!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back