Parents Times are a changing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
The dynamics of my daughter's gym will be changing this month. Three of the optional girls will be heading off to college, leaving the oldest girl in the gym to be a 14 yo level 8. Today at practice one of the girls passed out her old leos to the younger girls. Each girl got a bag with their name on it and a leo. I am surprised that she even had leos from when she was little as my daughter got a child's medium from her.

The girls that are leaving were with one of the coaches when she was in high school and was a coach at the Y. When she graduated from high school in 2000 these girls joked with her that when she was older they would come and compete for her gym. Little did they know at that time, that it really did happen.

Last week at Lake Owen many comments were made to the older girls about how lucky they were to have such cool little girls on their team. I really think that the little ones were the luck ones to have such awesome big girls on their team. They make the week special for the little girls who all were at Lake Owen for the first time; special hair ribbons, huge cookies to share at night, and overall encouragement of each other. There were many times last week that I would look for my daughter and find her hanging out the with big girls. There is the equivalant of 4 flights of steps down to the gyms as Lake Owen, and every day after either open gym or evening practice my Little Bug did not have to climb all those steps as there was always a back to ride on.

It is hard to believe that they are leaving. 2 will remain in state, and one will be heading off to Southern Utah--a long way from WI.

Even though I am a mom of a level 4, these girls have truely impressed me, with their love for the sport, and their love for the little ones left behind.

Barb

Last edited:
Oh that was such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. My DD looks up to the big girls at her gym as well.

You hear so many stories these days of kids who have done wrong. Isn't it nice to witness that there are still caring / loving kids in the world.

I know at our gym the L3's look up to upper level girls and the upper level girls love to "coach" and "spot" (help w/ BWO in lanes etc) the L3's.

I know you will be sad to see the big girls go !! Will they continue w/ gym in college?

I love the dynamics between the Big kids and the young ones!!
How fun!

I know my youngest dd is the youngest in the gym of all the team girls and
she seems to get all the attention from the older ones my kids have never had a babysitter (we live close to my mom and dad ) I have been thinking the big grls would be great sitters for them
anyhow Its so fun to see the interaction and fun between the girls at the gym

That is such a sweet story!

I think that is part of what makes team gymnastics so wonderful. The girls are such good role models for the younger girls..

I am glad that your DD has such a close gym.

Two of them will. The one going to Southern Utah, and one that is staying in the state.

One of our level 10s is off to southern utah too. I think she leaves in 6 days so all are girls are sad.:( As for those steps at LO I dont miss those -over and over several times a day for a week :yuck:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back