Parents Timing for level changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SophiaPD

Proud Parent
How long before a season starts does your child know if she is competing in a certain level? My daughter is just now trying a preteam group with a "we'll see" attitude as to whether she moves to JO3 (which is fair and fine with us; she competed XB so is ahead on some skills and behind on others). No one has indicated what is the latest she could move so I wondered what was a normal range. Summer schedule starts June 1 and competition season starts the last weekend of August. Do kids ever move during the summer with an early fall competition schedule, or can I assume that if she isn't ready to move up by the end of May, she's not competing in the fall (which again, is fine, just trying to plan)?

I suggest asking a coach or another parent, who has a kid on team at the gym.

All gyms do it differently. Some have specific requirements & testing. Some just use other ways to decide without really saying much about it.

Our competition season typically starts in November. Girls are told in mid to late August what level they will compete.

My DDs gym has similar timing (move from JO to pre-team in June for a falls competition season).

They seem to make the pre-team to JO3 decision in late April/early May.
However, that doesn’t mean they need all their JO3 skills— just that the coaches think there is a high chance they can get them there. There are actually a few JO3 skills they didn’t even start them on in pre-team — so no one had 100% of their JO skills before they moved.

But like Carly said — this highly varies by gym/coach - so if you really want to know, the best think to do would be to ask.

For a competition that starts late August, generally registrations for meets would be sent in beginning of June to make sure to get in the meets. All gyms are different and some would allow late or even mid season move ups, but the most likely scenario is only those moved to level 3 group on June 1 will compete level 3 in August.

Thanks, this is helpful. Apparently kids normally move up June 1, but with DD starting April 1, it's too soon for the gym to say whether she'd move or not or if so, when. Your guidance is helpful in getting a sense of when would be too late for competition purposes.

Reactions: sce
Our coach moves our kids into their expected level group more or less as soon as season ends. Basically first of may when the new girls join. Every girl has a skills chart with the required skills for that level to check off as they are mastered. If they haven't checked off 90% of the skills by September they will new chats about level. Season officially starts November but most meets are after Jan.

Our coach moves our kids into their expected level group more or less as soon as season ends. Basically first of may when the new girls join. Every girl has a skills chart with the required skills for that level to check off as they are mastered. If they haven't checked off 90% of the skills by September they will new chats about level. Season officially starts November but most meets are after Jan.
This sounds so helpful to know and nice reasonable expectations. I am still waiting to see what they will do as this is my first time at this gym. I have heard there is a week off at beginning of summer and level changes happen around the same time. Regionals for xcel is next week so I imagine they are waiting for the potential new girls to finish up before they make a decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back