Timing on stalders and endos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
What is the proper timing to pull into a stalder or endo? Does the gymnast pull in comming over the top, or slightly past vertical, or what?

It seems to me the most effective timing would be to do it as late as the gymnast can do it and still make it all the way in to the stradle position. Is this correct?

Silly me didn't read the "into" part earlier. I would just past vertical to ensure the speed/force on the way down as well as being able to get into the straddle. I've never worked them, and I've only had one teammate who did. I think she pulled just after vertical, but it's been a few years.

I don't know if this will help but do you do just regular stalder swings before you start full stalder? if helps them to get the feeling of holding a deep straddle position while they are swinging under and around the bar - much easier to do if you have a strap bar available. Also straddle sole circle to press hanstand is another great drill for stalder handstand...

Last edited:
Its important to allow the head to be neutral (or chin towards chest) when approaching the very bottom of the ''drop in phase'' whether endo or stalder. It is also helpful for gymnasts to not straddle the legs as wide as they can but rather achieving a 90 degree or narrower pancake position(or japana for you UK readers). One helpful drill to working endo's or stalder's are just performing ''round, rounds'' where the gymnast tries to finish with his or her's feet on the bar in between the hands. In other words, a straddle drop in - round the bottom- through to a pike stand on the bar.... Hope those tips help...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back