WAG Tips on fixing/working around BHS issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LewLox

Proud Parent
Hi, Folks,

Looking for some tips/tricks (or workarounds) for my daughter. She is a thirteen-year-old level 7 (training some 8 skills but almost certainly staying in 7) who has lingering form issues in her BHS, both on floor and beam--her legs fling apart and her momentum gets sapped. She and her coaches have tried a few drills, such as standing BHS using bands around her ankles or knees, but no luck. It doesn't appear to be a strength/conditioning/physical structure issue, but more of an ingrained habit/mental block. Visualization exercises haven't helped. Any ideas?

And if she can't correct it, any creative tumbling options for L7 floor to avoid a BHS altogether? She has a good RO-lay and a solid RO-lay half-punch front but a standard RO-BHS-lay gets pikey because of that lost momentum from the BHS. She is getting pretty frustrated and takes a pretty big hit on her scores. She doesn't have grand ambitions but she'd like to continue competing for a couple more years and feel more confident.

Any guidance is very much appreciated!

FHS-RO-BLO or FT-RO-BLO both fulfill the requirement of a three skill flight series with a back layout so there are options without a back handspring.

My daughter doesn’t bhs at all. She competed L7 with a cw/ro on beam and a ft step out ro/lo on floor.

FHS-RO-BLO or FT-RO-BLO both fulfill the requirement of a three skill flight series with a back layout so there are options without a back handspring.
Thank you so much--FHS-RO-BLO just might be a good workaround for her; glad to know if fulfills the requirement!

My daughter doesn’t bhs at all. She competed L7 with a cw/ro on beam and a ft step out ro/lo on floor.
Thanks--good to hear that this worked for your daughter, and glad to know my kid isn't the only one who has challenges with her BHS at this level!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back