To camp or not to camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! I've been involved with/followed gymnastics most of my life, and my senior year of college I found a gym in the area that has a competitive team for adults. My first year out of college I spent in at a different gym taking tumbling classes and doing open gym...until I was finally ready to be on the adult team. There are about 8 of us that come to practices/compete on a regular basis, and several more that come to practice when they have time. We have competed 3 meets so far this year, with two more left before sectionals (and if we qualify, we will go to states.) We compete for Region 7, Prep Optional. On our team we have some of us in our 20's, 30's and 40's. It's been a wonderful experience so far and I don't know how my transition from college to 'real life' would have been without gymnastics to help me stay busy and give me something to look forward to. Now that you have some background, I found out that Woodward East allows adults over 18 to go to camp during their last summer session, session 12.

Have any of you done this? I went to Woodward as a child and loved it. Last night I was at practice and started thinking about how great it would be to take a week off of work and do nothing but gymnastics. However, 1. it is expensive, and 2. would it be silly for an adult to do this? I was hoping by joining the forum that I could find someone that is either planning on going or has done it to give me some insight as to whether this is something I should start saving for or not. Let me know what you think!

But there are other camps that offer for adults as well that aren't as expensive, check usag website, it's on there somewhere. I thought about going this year, but it depends on where I stand with a job b/c I graduate this year. However, why should it be silly for an adult to do it, and further more, why should you care? Do you enjoy doing this? Then do it. They have softball and hockey and soccer and whatnot for adults. And if you dig deeper I think once upon a time a past member may have attended

One of the adults on the boards went last year. Maybe ask her. Woodward Penn says that an 18+ year old can go any week as long as they submit to a background check and they stay with the staff. BUT I want to go to adult week! Where is Woodward East?

Of course it would not be silly, if it was they wouldn't even have it open to adults. Gymnastics is a sport, a sport for all ages, it is not a children's sport. You as an adult have a right to access all the best training and competitive experiences. Age has nothing to do with it.

i wanted to do camp until i had a meet on saturday and then sunday. i was so tired and sore that i realized that i wouldn't be able to do gymnastics for a week straight when i only train 3x/week. i personally need to be in better shape to get the full benefits of camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back