To moisturize or not to moisturize that is the question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
DD has been doing a lot of bar work. Her hand callouses are really bothering her. I saw a hand moisturizing set in the Avon catalog, came with gloves to wear at night. I got it & DD was using it. But coach says she shouldn't be moisturizing that much. My thinking was softer hands would be more pliable & the skin would stretch, instead of just ripping open. I'd love to hear other posters thoughts on moisturizing...especially in the winter months when hands are extra dry.

I've always been told not to get my hands soft because they would rip easily. I put lotion on the backs of my hands but usually not on the calluses.

We've been told to file the callouses down because when they get too thick you rip.DD uses a file that I think is intended for your heels (metal kinda lie a cheese grater) with a plastic handle. She does apply mosturizer sometimes we like Aveeno Intense GHand relief. Hope this helps!

I only put lotion on the backs of my hands. The problem with having totally soft hands is that you lose your callouses, which makes swinging really painful. Your hands have to be able to swing an hour bar rotation, and there's no way I would want to do that with any fewer callouses than I have now.

I always put lotion on after gymnastics because my callouses have a tendancy to crack. I don't moisturize right before gymnastics because I don't want them slippery, but I think that it is better to have them softer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back