Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Wait and See

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

XP20

Gymnast
Hi, I am a gymnast currently competing in Platinum. It is almost the end of my competitive season ( one more competition plus states) and I have been contemplating whether I should quit or not. I have been competing for 5 years now, but I have been at my gym since I was a baby.

I no longer have any true friends at my gym, because they all quit, and I am just not having fun with the sport anymore. I am always wishing I didn't have to go to practice and when I am there I just wish I was home doing homework or sleeping. I am tired of all of the late nights and days I am dragging because practice the night before was hard. I am also not excited to compete anymore. This was my first year competing platinum and after 3 meets I just lost interest. I no longer want to be their or to do my skills.

I feel like I have lost my energy, and on top of that, I have knee problems ( along with others on the same knee) and back issues. My back issues are making it difficult to do my acro/flight series on beam and my knee has made me modify several parts of my routines. I am also tired of constantly being in pain. It is hard because no one knows what I feel like and they don't understand.

My parents have always told me to only do it if it was fun, and I think they mean it, but I feel that they are really proud of me and I don't want to let them down. I also feel like telling family and friends that I quit will be embarrassing and they would also be disappointed.

Another thing is that I do not have another sport to do. I don't want to do nothing, I just need something that will not be so time consuming and expensive. We have enough money but it is really expensive and the extra money couldn't hurt. I know my parents pay for it because they want to but I feel bad.

Finally, if I decide to quit I do not know how to tell anyone.

I have also lost my back handspring on beam and my giants with a spot on bars, but am currently working on a full on floor.

I want to respond because it sounds like you have definitely put a lot of thought into this. It sounds like you have a list of pros and cons and feel you are in limbo . I urge you to talk with your parents and let them know all your thoughts. They know you best and can help you come up with a plan for your gymnastics future.

My thoughts are that if you are in the middle of the meet season wait until the end to make a decision. Also it may be a really good idea to take a month or more off after this season to see how you feel with the break. You may love all the free time and start to find other interests, or you may be bored and miss it. You won't know until you give yourself some space.

My daughter recently retired bc it wasn't fun anymore and she has found lots of new activities to keep her busy. So don't worry about that. If you don't like sitting still you will find a new passion soon!

And if you decide to leave gymnastics there are others ways involved in the sport from coaching to judging!

It may or may not be your time to move on. Lean on your closest family and friends to help you make a decision that is right for you and rely on them if you do transition to something new!

I agree with 3cats above. At least stick with it until the end of your season. After States if you decide to be done you can make a clean break and feel good about it. And talk to your parents. It sounds like they are really supportive of you and should be able to help you navigate how you are feeling.

It is perfectly normal to arrive at this point, especially since you've done gymnastics for a very long time. You should be proud of what you have accomplished and how far you have come! Good luck in your decision.

Thank you both. But how do I tell my family, friends, and coaches that I want to be done? (if and or when it happens)

I think it's fair to start the conversation with your parents now. Tell them what you told us. Tell them you would like to evaluate your participation after States. Once a decision is made, they can help you tell others.
Okay. I will use your advice and see what they say.

Honesty is the best policy, especially with your parents. They weren't born yesterday and can probably tell something is going on. Also parents were once kids too and we have all had our share of human struggles, they will be able to relate to you! That's the good thing about parents, they have the experience, most likely first hand, to help you along your path. All you have to say is you are feeling a bit lost in gymnastics right now and are not sure you want to continue after this season and include them in a plan to help you decide and move on if needed.

Gymnasts in general are all very athletic, their are many stories here and on other forums about gymnasts going into other sports/activities (diving, x-country, track, dance) and finding immediate success. Especially with the more challenging skills you either are all in or are setting yourself up to get injured.

I wouldn't worry about disappointing your parents, especially if you have something new in mind to try. While I really enjoy watching my own daughter in gymnastics I also love watching her swim and play soccer and would be proud of her if she chose another activity as well.

If you choose to keep with gymnastics do it because that is what you want, if you choose to walk it will be OK.

Gymnasts in general are all very athletic, their are many stories here and on other forums about gymnasts going into other sports/activities (diving, x-country, track, dance) and finding immediate success. Especially with the more challenging skills you either are all in or are setting yourself up to get injured.

I wouldn't worry about disappointing your parents, especially if you have something new in mind to try. While I really enjoy watching my own daughter in gymnastics I also love watching her swim and play soccer and would be proud of her if she chose another activity as well.

If you choose to keep with gymnastics do it because that is what you want, if you choose to walk it will be OK.
Thank You. That really put it in perspective for me.

Lots of good advice here! In addition: if you don’t want to tell people you quit, you can phrase it differently. Just say “I realized there are other things I want to try, so I’m moving on” or something similar. Because really, if you feel the sport has run its course in your life and it’s time to move on, then you ran a good race. It’s only quitting if you leave because you weren’t willing to put forth the effort to reach your goals. It sounds like you have given this mature thought and are pretty sure your gymnastics goals have been accomplished. Let yourself feel good about trying new things!

Yes! Lots of good options for life after gym... some former gymnasts I know are state level pole vaulters, high jumpers, rock climbers etc. Swimming is another great sport for gymnasts as is golf! Find a sport you can do for life like tennis, golf, swim, triathlons...

I agree with what everyone here has said. Don't think of it as quitting! You are taking the hard work, effort, and skills learned in gym and you are excited to put them into new adventures. If you are excited everyone will be excited with you and I think if you start talking to yourself about it in terms of using what you have done to launch your next endeavor you will find that you will have a weight of expectation lifted off your shoulders.

All your parents want is for you to make well thought out decisions and to be happy and it sounds like that's what you are doing. They will be proud you put so much thought into what you wanted instead of making a rash decision.

And let me tell you as someone who did Gymnastics many moons ago once a gymnast always a gymnast....you may move on to other activities but the sport stays with you in all the best ways so enjoy that...you earned it...and now find other things you also love. Just like you can love more than one family member you can love more than one sport--the heart has infinite capacity!!

All I can say is if my daughter felt the way you do about gymnastics, I would have wanted her to tell me. As far as other people, they are more concerned with their own lives. They may or may not express disappointment but if they do, they’ll be over it the next day. Lastly, you’ll have no trouble finding another sport or activity to do. You may not find something you’ll love immediately, but give it time. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back