WAG Today's Meet = Meet McKayla!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter had a meet today. Lots of cool things happened. First, they won team again! That always puts my daughter in a great mood. She had her best AA of the year and has kept improving steadily. I'm so pleased with her growth. I also realized that she has a close relationship with almost every girl on her team. That matters to me more than any accolades. She also came in second in vault, which I mention because she got to meet the holder of maybe the most famous silver medal in vault ever- McKayla Maroney!

I have to admit that my opinion of McKayla was somewhat low after the Olympics. I had convinced myself that she was a selfish, entitled brat. She sat and took pictures with every gymnast that was in line with a smile on her face. I am SURE that she was tired of being at the meet, taking pictures and signing autographs for days, but it never showed.

I think I was wrong about McKayla. I formed a quick judgment based on seeing her during the biggest disappointment of her life. I'm glad to have had an opportunity to change that opinion. Meeting McKayla was one of the coolest experiences of my daughter's life. On a side note, there were very few "not impressed" requests. ;)

My impression of McKayla at the Olympics is that she was very disappointed in herself. She was honest about the fact that why should she win the gold if she fell. She has handled the "picture" thing very gracefully if you ask me. She is still a kid really and has more poise than many grown ups.

Congrats to your DD!!! Nice to hear about McKayla. I thouht the same thing after seeing her "not impressed face", but after watching the whole medal ceremony just resently, I realized that she seemed to be trying to hold back tears (no doubt due to dissapointment in herself) and the picture just happened to be snapped at a moment that made her look like an irritated, spoiled brat. I agree that she handled the picture really well, poking fun at herself :)

How cool! My dd would have been so excited to be there. Congrats to your dd on her vault and AA. I agree that those relationships are the best!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back