Toddler exercises

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

harber4788

Hi! This is the first time I have posted and am looking for some advice for my toddler. She just turned two and I believe has some natural ability. When she was about 1 1/2 she climbed on her small kitchen (only about 3 in wide and about 2 ft off the ground) she walk it like a balance beam with no problems. She is now 2. Recently she has started throwing her leg over the baby gate pulling herself up and balancing on it, before flipping off of it., along with flipping and bouncing from one end of the house to the other. She also runs like crazy full force non-stop. I am checking into gyms near our home but I dont think I will be able to put her in any lessons until this summer.

Can anyone give me any ideas on things I can start working with her on. She amazes me and I want to make sure that I get her started right. I also want to make sure that I keep her safe. Any suggestions?

Thanks

no offense, but spend your energy keeping her safe at home & get her in a fun, preschool class!!! Regular play is just fine at this age.

I agree but we live im a town of 300 and the closest preschool classes are an hour away. I am a stay at home mom right now and while my 5 month old naps I would like to have some new things to try with her. Give her some special time while teaching her something new.

I was in the same situation when my now 13 year old was two. So I got on my best walking shoes and we walked for MILES, walked to a park, to look at trees, to drag our hangs through the puddles, to see the cows.

Please don't try to formally coach her, it can be dangerous and will change your relationship.

Find some other Moms who want to meet twice a week to play, in a park, in a home or even in a community centre.

AT home I would advise not allowing her to be flipping off or balancing on anything that she could fall off. Kids do get very bady injured every year at home. DOn't be a statistic.

Two is such a busy age and having a little baby at the same time is a challenge which is why it's great to find things that involve all three of you. Have fun and play safe.

My advice would be to take her to the park as many days a week as possible and interact with her there. Parks are great places because the kids are gaining motor devolopment while they are playing and having fun.

Having had a 2 y/o who would scale the pool fence in a flash and balance on it like a moutain goat I really sympathise with wanting to channel energy in a fairly active way rather than just lett her keep making new and scary discoveries about her acrobatic abilities.
Whilst I'd echo the other posters' sentiments about safety and keeping your mummy (not coach) hat firmly on, I do have one suggestion. The best thing my DD learned at gym was how to land safely. Whilst I wouldn't be encouraging either climbing or jumping from heights, it may be worthwhile doing some jumping games with her so she gets in the habit of using her arms forward to balance and lands legs well bent and a little apart for safety.
My 5 y/o DD currently only does gym once pw - poop - and really needs to go at least 2-3 times - just so when I tell her to keep her acrobatics in the gym there might be a chance she'll actually do it.
Are there any other really physical activties she might do meantime (before summer) - like swimming or dancing?? Maybe she has lots of space to ride a bike and wear out some energy??

While I don't think a class is necessary, it is a great way to bond with your child and introduce them to organized activty and class structure. In the mean time, she can gain most of the same skills if you take her to a playground (hanging from things, climbing ladders, balancing on different surfaces).

But to answer your original question, you could set up fun obstacle courses around the house, where she has to climb up, around, and under things.
You can practice balance on one foot, alternating between feet and holding it infront, to the side, and behind. Sitting in v-sits, knee scales, or crab walk/ table position. Different jumps can be taught at home (open and close, tucks, spins).

I don't really agree with some of the other posters. Teaching these things at home will not ruin your relationship or anything like that. She is too young and this isn't real "coaching". At this age it is all a game and fun for the child, as long as it's presented as an option and not something they have to do all the time.

If you really can't get to a class, then definitely lots of trips to the playground (both would be even better!). Let her hang on the bars and just run around and have fun :)

Thank you for your suggestions. I guess I came off wrong. I wasnt wanting to coach but maily see if I could help her with exercises to increase cordnation , and balance until I can get her into the gym. I figured if I could help her with these basic things it may help her once she does get in the gym. Thanks for your suggestions..

You might find a toddler fun dvd with action songs and dances for her to join in with. There might even be an exercise type one somewhere! My older dd used to spend all day singing and dancing along with Barney. Shh she is 13 now. Dont tell I said. lol.

Just a lot of active play will really help, especially in a place like the playground. That can really improve coordination a lot just by doing those things. Any time they use their upper body strength and even just run, they build coordination and endurance.

I'd just do lots of playing at this stage, but you can make it a little bit gymnastics orientated by encouraging little one to move in different ways. One of our favourite things to do in our pre-school class is to take our gymnasts on a jungle adventure where the gym transforms into a jungle and we look out for all the animals and then we have to move like them! So for example, if we 'see' a snake, we all have to slither on the floor, or move and make the sounds of a monkey if we see one! It is good fun even if we do all look a bit silly!

We also do action songs and videos.

I don't think there is any harm in 'playing' like this at home. And these things teach co-ordination and body management so that when you manage to get into a gym she will have some basic idea of how to move!

There are many other benefits to toddler exercise besides having him tired out for bedtime.Benefits include:

• Strengthening his muscles and keeping healthy.
  • Developing hand and eye coordination.
  • Building pathways in the brain which aids the rest of his development.
  • Good old toddler fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back