Parents Toddler Rec

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2kidsonaroll

Proud Parent
Hi all...

I am curious about your opinions on what an effective toddler rec class should look like.

We started out at a pretty average gym, the emphasis was purely on fun and building strength and flexibility. So the class was lots of time in the pit, lots of jumping, climbing etc.

We left that gym for a more prestigious one, not because it was prestigious, but because my son who has several disabilities aged out of rec at the first gym and would not make team or anything but he wanted to keep doing gymnastics while his sister (my toddler) was in class. The new gym offered boys classes based on ability and he could continue his 1 hour a week rec to his hearts desire! (Major props to the gym for this!)

As far as my daughters class it is WAY more focused on skills v fun and basics than the first gym. I thought she would hate it but surprisingly she seems to like it and loves the coaches better than the other one. The problem is she has not seemed to progress at all over the past year, in fact, she seems to have gotten sloppier.

Just curious what you all think?

Toddler focus should be fun

So I’m genuinely curious...would you say 3 is to young to be focusing on things like handstands cartwheels and bars?

It’s funny because my daughter does seem to enjoy the more structured environment... it just doesn’t seem to be helping her gymnastics at all.... but she lovesss feeling like a big girl. I’m wondering if learning through play was more effective for her than repetition and instruction. And I’m wondering if there is a certain age it will switch?

So I’m genuinely curious...would you say 3 is to young to be focusing on things like handstands cartwheels and bar?
JMO yes too young.

Fun should be the focus.

How good a cartwheel or hand stand is at 3:doesn’t mean much.

At that age they should be doing many things and wanting more of things.

On a personal note.my kid had a really cra$$y CW at 3 if you could even call it a CW. But she was darn cute. She is currently a L7/8 and any reason she is not further along is personal choice and has not one thing to do with what she did at 3.

Fun, they are supposed to be having fun.

Our 3 and 4 year old classes are 45 minutes. They do a little stretching to warm up.
They do swings and "sloth" on bars.
On beam, they do front walks, side walks, backward walks, "ice cream scoops," tiptoe walks, and bunny hops.
On vault, they run down the vault strip, jump on the springboard, and are spotted through a forward roll on the mat stack.
On floor, they do locomotor skills like running, hopping, bear crawls, obstacle courses. We do have them ATTEMPT spotted cartwheelish moves over a "block." We also have them jump on a mini-tramp.
On the air track, they do different jumps and some of the same things they do on floor. They also run races to the end of the air track.
At the end of class, they get stamps (ink). It used to be 2 stamps (one on each hand), but ever since YG was 4 (almost 10 years now), they are allowed to get 4 stamps (hands and feet or arms / legs). The little ones are very happy when they leave.

Please tell me this is a joke. New level of CGM worried about a 3 year old’s lack of progress? I have no words.

Reactions: sce
I don’t know if I would call that CGM, the reality is that a lot of parents come into the gymnastics world not knowing what to expect. Not sure of what, if anything to expect of their child, of their gym and or their child’s coaches.

There is a lot of talk about gymnasts having to be so good and so high level at such a young age to “make it”.

Different gyms will approach it in different ways, but the only "progress" I'm looking for from a toddler gym class is that they sleep well that night and over the course of the year are better at following directions, listening to another adult, taking turns, etc, and are more comfortable on/around the equipment. Our toddler/mom and me classes were always a great mix of fun and fundamental skills...yes there was plenty of teaching but that was never the real point.

As others have said, at three the only question is whether she's having fun. Based on your posts I'd say the answer is yes, so you have nothing to worry about. The notion of "progress" for a toddler isn't necessarily something you can see. Is she learning to listen to her coaches? Is she learning the names of all of the different skills and things in the gym? Is she becoming comfortable in the gym and learning the safety rules? Is she developing a love for the sport? To me, all of these things are far more important signs of progress in a toddler than whether or not she's doing a cartwheel with straight legs. My experience is most rec classes are more like her new class, and the focus on form and shaping happens if and when a gymnast is put on preteam, but every gym is different. As long as she's enjoying herself and you feel this is a happy, positive environment for her, you can relax.

Every decent gym I have heard of works on handstands and cartwheels in preschool rec. None of them are doing great ones, but they work on the mantra of hand hand foot foot and what a lunge is, etc. The programs are still busy and fun. As for the child not progressing...I wouldn't worry too much. If she is having FUN and the program seems good, it will sort itself out eventually.

Different kids enjoy different aspects (my ODD loves new skills, MDD loves conditioning) and of course learn in differwnt ways, so it's more about what class fits each individual child.
As far as the fact that she seems to be 'sloppier', for one, it may be related to growth (I mean my son couldn't even walk without falling when he had a growth spurt atound 3.5yrs!). Another thing is that she may be focusing/ learning different aspects so is not able to focus on others (like straight legs).
And like others have said, don't worry too much at this point. If the gym is successful they should be able to help her progress when she is ready.

OP please do not worry about progress. I know it sounds hard to believe but gymnastics journey is long and skills at 3 do not necessarily translate to anything in the future. I believed that a child progressing at a young age was important and that it showed how great your child could be. This is so far from the truth. Gymnastics is a crazy LONG SCARY journey for the kids and those that proceed through to level 10 are amazing individuals. At the gym Friday night I was speaking to a mom about the team. She told me that when her daughter started on team there were 26 level 3 girls on the team. Now of those 26 girls there are 3 left still training. Those girls are competing level 7 this year.

Take away is let your little athlete have fun and make her own progress. her time in this sport is something that only she knows because it must come inside her.

Please tell me this is a joke. New level of CGM worried about a 3 year old’s lack of progress? I have no words.
i don't see this as CGM at all. i see a mom who switched gyms to keep her special needs son in gymnastics and her 3yo went from a more fun/laidback class to a more structured/skill based class with less emphasis on fun. i hope the new, more prestigious gym, isn't losing the focus on fun. at 3yo that's all it should be

Oh my goodness- that is such a fun age! My older DD started at 3- almost four though. I recall her class focused on animal motions, bear walks, a little hanging on the bar, running and jumping into the mini pit with foam, and listening to the teacher. Oh and telling the teacher when they needed to go to the bathroom! lol! They started with circle time, and at the end of class they got a sticker or hand stamp if they had good behavior or if they said "sorry" for throwing pit, biting a friend, or whatever. (lol!) DD is planning on competing level 10 this year so i guess those classes worked out just fine. ;) FWIW, I would advise you to not worry as long as your LO's are having fun, smiling and are excited to go back each time. The days are long, but the years are short- embrace this precious time. There is plenty of time (trust me on this!) for skill acquisition.

Oh my goodness- that is such a fun age! My older DD started at 3- almost four though. I recall her class focused on animal motions, bear walks, a little hanging on the bar, running and jumping into the mini pit with foam, and listening to the teacher. Oh and telling the teacher when they needed to go to the bathroom! lol! They started with circle time, and at the end of class they got a sticker or hand stamp if they had good behavior or if they said "sorry" for throwing pit, biting a friend, or whatever. (lol!) DD is planning on competing level 10 this year so i guess those classes worked out just fine. ;) FWIW, I would advise you to not worry as long as your LO's are having fun, smiling and are excited to go back each time. The days are long, but the years are short- embrace this precious time. There is plenty of time (trust me on this!) for skill acquisition.
This is the best description of what pre-school gymnastics should be. Love it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back