Toe on fly away drills/ vids??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Spectrumcoach/judg

I have a child that came from a anoother gym who is deathly afraid of flyaways.

As of right now she is doing for level 7 on high bar a giant into a hop 1.2 turn into a front flyaway. I know this in cures an extra swing deduction.
I am hoping to teach her the front where she would swing down from her giant and drive her heels upward and flip forward. all these I see done on you tube are done from a toe on or late toe on . Can it be done out of a swing down from a giant?
If so how do we proceed? No pit but porta pits availible. I love drawings of drills as well as videos if anyone is so incllinde :)

i'd like to help but have no idea what you're talking about.

What you describe doesn't sound safe to me for a level 7 (or at all really, I don't know). The toe front is also a C so it can only be performed at level 9 and 10 now. Also, in level 7, I am almost positive that front swing before front flyaway does NOT incur an extra swing deduction. If she can do front flyaway why not stick to this? She can do a cross arm swing into mixed grip into front flyaway also.

I found the reference for the L7 front flyaway clarification: Connie Maloney's rule change notes from last season. The clarification states (Level 7 ONLY):

"No penalty for extra swing will be applied if a counter swing is performed prior to salto forward (front flyaway) dismounts. (#8.107 or 8.207)"

These notes can be found at www.ilnawgj.com

Edit: The deduction that might like apply is for a fwd/bwd swing below horizontal (.1)

I think the OP is talking about a Comaneci dismount with no twist. Like here: Toe Front Dismount Off Bars - YouTube.

Right...this is valued at a C last time I checked so it can only be performed in level 9 and 10. Giant hop half, front swing, front flyaway is acceptable in level 7. In level 8 she can probably only do a cross arm swing into mixed grip...I'm blanking on any other way to get into front flyaway without deduction in level 8.

i'm blanking cause i still don't know what the original poster is talking about.

and gymdog, i'm blanking on the "giant hop half, front swing, front flyaway".

i understand giant swing towards the low bar and then Cal hop in the handstand, then front flyaway.

help me out here...:)

and a comaneci is a c.

sorry for the confusion. The vidieo that was posted is what she would like to do next year. We are doing the front fly with an extra swing right now. thanks.

i'm blanking cause i still don't know what the original poster is talking about.

and gymdog, i'm blanking on the "giant hop half, front swing, front flyaway".

i understand giant swing towards the low bar and then Cal hop in the handstand, then front flyaway.

help me out here...:)

and a comaneci is a c.

Low swing half (I presume)...like swing horizontal and hop hands to turn around (level 5 dismount but turning the post arm hand to hold on), swing forward (ok in level 7), swing back to front flyaway. It's probably not a true hop but either way if the swing goes to horizontal it should not technically get an execution deduction (for a level 7 this might be tough though w/ legs together...but it's possible and obviously better than not doing the dismount).

In level 8 the dismount in the video will get a .5 deduction.

In level 8 also I guess you could do cast and turn one hand, then the other to undergrip, and swing down into a front flyaway (no hop because cali hop is a C). But in order to giants and get into the cast handstand you'd have to do giant low 1/2 kip cast handstand, turn, turn, swing down front flyaway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back