WAG Toe shoes for floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom28

Proud Parent
DD is training L8, she has the double turn on floor and is working turns with her leg upright. I was looking into getting the toe shoes for her (not sure if that's the correct name for these). I saw some of the elites wearing them on one foot. Does your gymnast use them? Are they helpful? What brand is good?

So funny! I just responded to a similar conversation on a different discussion board.

My issue is that I keep catching my big toe on turns on beam and floor, and it's pretty much permanently sprained now - so I just wear a shoe on my turning foot.

I struggled with finding rhythmic shoes, and I was worried that they would be too slippery. I'm currently using this lyrical shoe by Capezio (https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_H061.html). I found that I needed to size down one size for a snug feel that hugged my foot.

Before this shoe, I tried a similar model by Bloch (https://www.discountdance.com/dance.../style_S0639SL.html...). Even after sizing down one size on the size chart, I found that they were too wide (and I have a wide foot), slipped around on my foot, and bunched when I pointed my toes.

So funny! I just responded to a similar conversation on a different discussion board.

My issue is that I keep catching my big toe on turns on beam and floor, and it's pretty much permanently sprained now - so I just wear a shoe on my turning foot.

I struggled with finding rhythmic shoes, and I was worried that they would be too slippery. I'm currently using this lyrical shoe by Capezio (https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_H061.html). I found that I needed to size down one size for a snug feel that hugged my foot.

Before this shoe, I tried a similar model by Bloch (https://www.discountdance.com/dance.../style_S0639SL.html...). Even after sizing down one size on the size chart, I found that they were too wide (and I have a wide foot), slipped around on my foot, and bunched when I pointed my toes.
Fuzi, my daughter has had the same issue with her big toe for over a year now - all started in L8 with the double turn - she kept catching it and "dislocating" it as she says. I had never thought to have her try gym shoes - she just tapes her first two toes and hopes for the best. I think we'll look into the shoe option!

If at all possible, buy them at a dance store where she can try them on in person. Dance shoe sizing is crazy. Right now the shoes in my dance bag range from two full sizes smaller to one half-size larger than my street shoe size.

Besides dance shoes, you can look for toe shoes for Rhythmic gymnastics. I have found that the dance ones are sometimes too slippery on the bottom, whereas rhythmic ones are a suede-like material. Venturelli and bleyer are 2 brands I can think of off the top of my head, but if you search for rhythmic gymnastics toe shoes you should be able to find more. They're typically more expensive than dance shoes though... And yes, check your local dance or sports store so she can try them on!

Fuzi, my daughter has had the same issue with her big toe for over a year now - all started in L8 with the double turn - she kept catching it and "dislocating" it as she says. I had never thought to have her try gym shoes - she just tapes her first two toes and hopes for the best. I think we'll look into the shoe option!

CrazyCatLady, what your daughter is describing is exactly what happened to me over and over. My big toe would catch, it would feel like it popped in and out, and then it would be really quite swollen for a few days and then go back to its "normal" state of only a little swollen. I gave up on tape when the tape fell off in the middle of a floor routine. I highly suggest a shoe, and the podiatrist and sports med MD agree it's been a good decision. Good luck to you and your DD.

And a side bonus: it makes those double turns easier.

Thank you for your responses and helpful tips. I like the idea to first check local dance stores so DD can try them on. Seems like sizing down is the way to go. And one of them seems to be adjustable...I'll definitely look into that option.
Now, maybe a silly question, is this something you use everyday or just here and there? Do you sort of get used to it and then it becomes harder to do your turns without?

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I can say that rhythmic gymnasts wear theirs full time. However, they typically have two pairs (a practice pair, and a cleaner "competition" pair). Also, when I used to dance I did notice that after wearing shoes or socks for months, it was a lot harder to turn barefoot than it had been before I used shoes/socks.

Now, maybe a silly question, is this something you use everyday or just here and there? Do you sort of get used to it and then it becomes harder to do your turns without?
I wear them whenever I am on beam or floor, unless it's strictly a floor tumbling day with no dance or routines.

I'm sorry but I keep on thinking of pointe shoes when someone writes toe shoes. How odd that would look in gymnastics. lol :)

Gaaaahh! As the mother of a serious dancer (who dances en pointe) it always make me cringe when I hear them referred to as "toe shoes"!

... but the mental image of pointe shoes in gymnastics... yeah, that would be *something*!

Gaaaahh! As the mother of a serious dancer (who dances en pointe) it always make me cringe when I hear them referred to as "toe shoes"!

... but the mental image of pointe shoes in gymnastics... yeah, that would be *something*!

Believe it or not, I saw a girl dancing en pointe on a (very squishy) gymnastics floor once. I was scared for her ankles the whole time! Mind you it was for a gala performance, but still....

My dd wears them only on floor. Even on strictly tumbling days. I think her coach wants her to be used wearing them for all floor stuff since you can't take them off in the middle of a routine. [emoji4]
We have other girls who only wear them occasionally when they are working turns. But since mine wears hers in her actual routine, she wears them every time they do anything on floor.

My DDs new gym just started allowing them on floor, which was great because she still had her shoes from rhythmic. For her they make the difference between a 1.5 and a 2.5 turn. She wears venturelli and sasaki shoes. She has some on toe bits in her beam routine too- they used to go up on toes in rhythmic practice. She and another girl at her gym are both ballet dancers- the other girl is a higher level gymnast than she is.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back