Toe Shoots?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

ChoFrog09

I just started toe shoots, and I've seen a lot of my teammates having problems, the most prominent being ending up in a dead hang.

Any tips for catching this skill correctly so that you don't end up in a dead hang?

Lots of people talk about this skill because it's so frustrating..

even I as a coach ask others for help, and this is the thread that was put together.

Good luck!

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/coach-forum/16336-uphills-sole-circles.html

For reference, toe shoot, uphill, and toe on hecht are all the same skill. It has also been named after a gymnast, though I don't know the name. It's also known as a straddle up, and the most annoying skill in gymnastics, seconded only by the kip.

I know exactly how you feel. I've seen a few of these done correctling and when they are done right they are amazing. I think the trick is getting your feet behind you before you catch the bar, this way you have momentum for youre kip. It seems like you want your hands in front of the rest of your body when hitting the high bar.

Stinkin toe shoots took me forever to learn. I could grab the bar my on the first day trying to learn them but I couldn't get a cast handstand out of one for over a year! My adivce is to play around with your timing. Depending if you let go a little bit earlier/later you will get the ideal kip instead of the frustrating dead hang. Make sure you start in a handstand to generate maximum momentum and don't pike/straddle onto the bar right away. When you do pike/straddle you should be around or below horizontal.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know how you feel too !
i mean they look like so much fun , except when you start to do them
they can be quite tricky. but yeah thanks for posting this form i need help too !

think about forcing your feet down and reaching through the middle and not about getting your hips behind you.

a bunch of girls on my team do this, and they have the same problem!
I'd say the best thing to do would be to get all the way up to a handstand before putting your feet on the bar, as this will give you the most momentum to get your kip out of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back