Toes splitting open?

cbifoja

Proud Parent
Oct 9, 2012
Country
USA
When my DD did gym in the past she seemed to constantly have a small split at the base of her 4th toe where it met her foot. When she was out of the sport for three years, she never had it. She’s been back in the gym for five weeks and she already has the split again.

Does anyone else’s gymnast have this problem? Any idea what causes it? I’m icked out by toe fungus so maybe I’m just being paranoid.

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

txgymfan

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Relative
Fan
Sep 4, 2008
Houston
Country
USA
I get it but I’m not in the gym. I don’t know how to fix it.

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
I only get it when my feet are too dry ... I go barefoot a lot and my feet tend to dry out really badly.

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Jul 19, 2011
Region 9
Country
USA
My son gets it bad. We tried fungus treatments, but it was not that. For him, it was really really really dry skin, and tumbling. He uses bag balm on it now. NOt sure how much it bothers him anymore.

Puff

Aug 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bag balm is a great start. Beam shoes will solve it. Taping the problem areas before practice. Adding fat to the diet can help--avocados, dairy, etc. If it gets bad often--deep and meaty-looking--keep some vials of surgical glue on hand to seal the rips. Sometimes it will tear again the next day, but usually it will hold for a couple of days. If you can get through to the weekend, then it might somewhat heal and allow a fresh start the next week. It can be an ongoing battle. "Mastisol liquid adhesive" is a good brand. Can find it on Amazon for example.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!