Parents Too much, too soon? Making everyone crazy?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She needs level 6. Level 7 is hard. It’s the first really hard level and she’s not ready. Bhs bhs is not needed as others have said and she runs the risk of getting scared and a block starting. My dd did level 6 before level 7 and it was very good for her. Much much different than the lower levels and level 6 kind of prepares you for the big girl levels. Talk to the coach and tell them your desires.

Thanks everyone for good advice. The coaches and I had a meeting, and they agreed better to have her compete level 6 comfortably this season, and just see whether she can also do a level 7 or two meet. A couple other girls in this group who trained 7 are also going to compete 6 instead for awhile this season, and give some of those skills time to settle in and give strength a bit more time to develop! Everyone is feeling great about it. My daughter is very excited because she feels confident in her required skills for 6, and is talking about how excited she is to compete next weekend.

(PS: we know that the BHS BHS isn’t required on beam at 7, but the gym likes to conpete that if possible. Even before we decided to have her compete 6, her beam was changed to single BHS and a BWO BWO BT dismount).

My daughter went from level 3-6 last year at age 9 and now she’s a 7 next season we had talks of her going level 9. If your coaches believe your daughter can do it just trust the process, it will all work out.

My daughter went from level 3-6 last year at age 9 and now she’s a 7 next season we had talks of her going level 9. If your coaches believe your daughter can do it just trust the process, it will all work out.

Except that sometimes it does not work out, and it is not okay to 'trust the process.' If the gym has a track record of making it work out and the coach has a proven record of taking girls through levels quickly and the girls staying in it through to level 10 (AND high school) and not burning out, then yes, trust the process. However, unfortunately there are some coaches out there that get eager to have little high level superstars and/or do not fully understand the emotional/mental development component that is crucial. I am glad it is working out for your daughter, but the OP has posted that her daughter does not have the bar skills for the level she is currently competing - that to me does not sound like a 'trust the process' kind of thing.

Except that sometimes it does not work out, and it is not okay to 'trust the process.' If the gym has a track record of making it work out and the coach has a proven record of taking girls through levels quickly and the girls staying in it through to level 10 (AND high school) and not burning out, then yes, trust the process. However, unfortunately there are some coaches out there that get eager to have little high level superstars and/or do not fully understand the emotional/mental development component that is crucial. I am glad it is working out for your daughter, but the OP has posted that her daughter does not have the bar skills for the level she is currently competing - that to me does not sound like a 'trust the process' kind of thing.
I do agree why skip her through if she doesnt have the skills, but it’s not like they just told her or she just now found out her daughter didn’t have the skills (I could be wrong). Did the coaches offer private lessons to get her ready? Why agree to move her if you had these concerns? Idk but I feel the coaches wouldn’t move someone up if they didn’t think they could do it

Does she have the clear hip to HS and the giants to dismount and just doesn't have them consistent enough yet or is she still working to get them? Most girls competing 7 are going to have already had the skills by at least end of summer and will have been working on cleaning up, putting skills together to routines and working consistency as well as possibly uptraining for 8. The young ages are especially competitive. I too would be wary of competing 7- the season goes by very fast- depending on your state you are probably only 9-13 weeks away from State meet. If her previous competitive experience has been very successful, it may be hard for her to not do well- I would hate for a talented girl to become discouraged and start thinking she isn't good, when in reality she has made a huge jump in one year.
But a clear hip to handstand and giants are not required in Level 7.
I just think that scratching a meet at level 7 doesn't make sense when she could compete Level 6 instead.

Sounds like she needs to take a step back. No need to do level 7 this year. Compete 5 or 6 and be ready for level 7 next season.

I do agree why skip her through if she doesnt have the skills, but it’s not like they just told her or she just now found out her daughter didn’t have the skills (I could be wrong). Did the coaches offer private lessons to get her ready? Why agree to move her if you had these concerns? Idk but I feel the coaches wouldn’t move someone up if they didn’t think they could do it

Private lessons to skip levels is a recipe for burn out.
It sounds like the OP's daughter was in a group that was fast-tracked, not that she was 'moved' groups. I don't think it is always possible for coaches to predict if girls will be ready- in this case it is several girls that do not have the strength for bars for L7- per OP's post, which means they just need more training time.
Lance, while it sounds like you may be at a gym that has a reputation for knowing what they are doing, not all gym do. We have a gym in our area that is notorious for moving girls up before they are ready and rushing them through levels- as soon as they make the mobility score they are allowed to move up regardless if they have the skills ready for the next level.

To the OP- I am glad it has worked out for your DD to compete 6 and be confident! She sounds like a talented girl!

Thanks for sharing.

A strong base of fundamentals, and appropriate strength-building over time, under the guidance of knowledgeable and experienced coaches goes a long way to prevent scary injuries at the higher levels.

This reminds me of what could be a cautionary tale
I know of a girl who started gymnastics at the ripe old age of 9 as a level 4. She had impressive talent and in about a year was competing level 8. She trained at WOGA, and she qualified for JO Nationals multiple times. One day, she was doing a simple split leap on beam when at the apex of her leap she felt "something", like maybe she dislocated her leg. It turned out that she broke her pelvis bone, tore her groin and tendons around that area. That was the end of the line (she did go on to NCAA after recovery). I often wonder if she had started earlier and had more time on strengthening and physical adaptation to stresses that we could have been watching her at Beijing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back