Parents Too much too young?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yay!! What a perfect outcome. I am so happy that you guys had the guts to talk to your DDs coaches and that it turned out so well. I wish I wasn't such a chicken. I would rather just take DD somewhere else than try to talk with her coaches or the owner. :( I need some guts. Maybe someone could send me the guts fairy. :)

I am so happy that your daughter will still get to train to her potential, but at the right pace and hopefully the perfect pace to keep her interested and happy and still get to be a kid.

:)

Im so glad that your talk went so well! It sounds like both you and the head coach are of the same thought regarding your daughter's training now.

Congrats to you and your usually "laid back" hubby. Sounds like the head coach has a good sense of reality and what will work to keep a 6yo training, but doing it in a safe way. Great parents + great(understanding) coach= happy/successful gymnast and little girl.

I'm happy this worked out so well for you and your family.
She's your daughter first and foremost. Congrats to you for standing up for her and being honest with her coaches.

Hi - I've just come back to say make sure they carry out their promises and stick to them long term. The head coach sounds great but I would still be a little wary of a head coach who had no idea what was going on in his feeder squad. I wouldn't expect him to know all the nitty gritty but I would expect him know if a 6 year old was attending 18 hours a week. If the squad feeds into his he should be keeping an eye on it. He seems to know all the details about how talented she is so why didn't he know how often she comes or what skills she is being taught. Is he not in the same building? He should also be driving the training for the feeder squad and overseeing them. It doesn't really make sense that he didn't know anything about it. You can feel confident if you see him putting in place the things he talked about. For instance does he cut the hours of the other children doing over 14 hours/ more than double their age or not. I wish you the best of luck with this as I think you need to keep an eye on things for a while to come, but you have done absolutely the right thing for your DD.

I have coached a long time, and have coached many young "superstars". 18 hrs is too much, no matter what her talent level is, at age 6. It sounds like her coaches are young and excited, which is great. No experienced coach would have a kid training that much at that age.

Keep her in gymnastics, but meet w/ the coaches and tell them its a choice- to cut her hours or you will pull her. Please do it, or she will burn out before 12.

Totally agree with this. I can't imagne my 11 yr old daughter practicing 24 hrs a week--thats ridiculous. I would hate to see her quit entirely--especially if she enjoys doing it, but tell them she'll be cutting her hours. If she is that good, they will work with you. And if they're not willing to, then it's better to leave anyway!

Should have read through everything before replying! This is awesome!! So glad your DH got fired up and talked to them--excellent outcome!!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I got a little teary - eyed reading the post about your husband standing up for his daughter.

It sounds like you have a goodd caring coach on your side! Good luck and we look forward to hearing about how your daughter does in her gymnatics carreer! She should be your shining star!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back