Too much?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think the best thing you can do is just be aware of your child and her reactions. Does she still ask to go? When she is at gymnastics, does she listen (age-appropriately) or does she run around wild or lay or a mat the entire time? Monitor it carefully at the beginning, and don't feel bad about taking a day off here or there if necessary, or even cut back hours during the year if you find it becomes too much.

I will add that I definitely think watching how they are doing is really the key. If she is happy and doesn't seem tired, it is fine. DD will be 5 in October and was going once a week for 45 minutes during the school year, and then moved to 1.5 hrs 1x a week this summer and even though she has the stamina to do it, mentally I think this next level is too much for her right now. She is also suffering from a case of "I just can't do gymnastics", she wants to be able to do it all right now. She doesn't quite understand practicing, she just wants to be able to do it! So that is resulting in "I don't want to go to gym"....

I think alot of people have great points. The main thing is, is your child happy?
My daughter would love to go to the gym more. Right now she goes for 45 min for gymnastics and 55 min for cheer/dance, which she is not really loving the dance part-I think because it is too boring for her. She was doing two 45 min gym classes but they were repeating lesson plans and she would always be distracted the second time around.
We go to open gym at least once a week because she really likes to get on the 'big bars' and rope because they don't do that in her class.
She just started preschool last week for twice a week (2.5 hours) and also has an arts class for 2 hours on friday. She is always practicing her gymnastics at home and would love to be able to get her in for some privates so she can learn more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back