Too old for my level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've had this question ever since i started competing. I'm 13 and in level 3 about to go into level 4. Do you think i'm too old to still be in gymnastics. I don't think i can be in the olympics or anything like that if i keep it up. What do you think?

You are never too old to continue to do gymnastics. Don't worry about "how far" you can get. If you enjoy it, what reason do you really have to quit? Gymnastics is a fantastic form of exercise--you are gaining strength, flexibility, balance, and poise. These are benefits that will last a lifetime. There are many gymnasts on this forum that are in their 20s (and even 30s I believe). Some compete and some are just learning cartwheels and pullovers. Keep doing what you like to do and don't worry about anything else. Good luck!

I was just at our Provincials and there were many 18 year olds competing what is considered to be L3 here. They looked great, did their skills beautifully and they were loving it.

You are never to old for gym as long as you are enjoying it.

if you love what your doing then its never too old. Yes there are more younger girls at your level but I've seen girls as old at 15 at L4 and they loved it.

Don't worry about what others think do what you love

You are never too old to be in gymnastics I am 15 and restarted gymnastics about 8 months a go from a 4 year break (I was a level 2 at the time). I went back into a rec class at 14 but then decided to compete and was put into open level 4 which is a slightly easier level 4. So continue to do gymnastics,being "too old" is no reason to quit.keep doing what you love, you still have many years left in the sport and you don't know how far you can get!!

Easy answer: You are NEVER too old to be in gymnasty!! If you love what you do, keep doing it :)

You are never too old to be a gymnast! My best friend is 15 and she is a new level 4. Being happy and loving what you do is all that matters!

You shouldn't compare how old you are with what level you're on. A fairer comparison would be how many years have you been doing gymnastics. If it's been less than 3 years you're doing extremely well to be doing L3 skills.

There is no such thing as too old for your level. There is no set age to be on a certain level, as happyfacetwin says don't look at it as being based on age, because its not. Its based on how long you have been doing gymnastics and what skills you can do.

Yes, there are a lot of younger kids competing at this level, simply because they started earlier. But I have been to many competitions where there are lots of level 3's who are around 14-16 so much older than you. We also have level 3's in our gym up to 16 years old.

In some ways you have an advantage by being older, you will be better able to learn things because you can understand your coaches instructions better. You have a longer attention span and better memory than a young kid so you can also train and learn easier due to that. As a teenager you can develop more strength than a young kid, so there are lots of reasons to be happy about being older than your teammates.

You're not too old!

I'm 22 and a level 4 and considering going back into gymnastics. I don't think you are too old to be a level 3 (even if the majority of level 3s are younger than you). Just keep doing what you love, and try not to compare yourself to others.

Age does not matter.. its how much u love the sport that matters!!

i'm 13, almost 14. and i just started level four three weeks ago. and theres a few girls in the 7th grade and going into 9th grade in my class too. its a little weird being around little kids, but you'll get use to it. you'll probably learn faster then the younger kids too because you can take directions better, and understand the teacher more! don't worry about everyone being younger then you, just try hard and be attentive! :) youre never too old for gymnastics, no matter what level.

As long as you enjoy it, keep on going!!! Does anyone remember the video that showed the teen gymnast who started in the sport as an older teen??? It showed her progress & was VERY inspirational. I wish I could remember the link.

Last edited:
I'm 15 and just getting back into gymnastics. The younger kids in my class goof off, get sidetracked, and have a hard time taking instruction and criticism to learn and fix their mistakes. As a teenager, I'm able to concentrate and listen to my teacher's critique and then go and put it into action. I'm also more motivated and it's easier for me to build muscle at this age.

You aren't too old.
I coach a girl who is turning 15 this week and will be competing L5, as well as a girl who is 16 and competing L5 for the second time. I also coach a bunch of L5s who will be freshmen in high school. They were 14 and in 8th grade when they competed L4.

Were they older than most competitors? Yes.
Were they the oldest? No.
Did they have fun, get in shape, and enjoy competing? Yes. That is what matters.

Quick story: When I was 15 I started gymnastics again in an intermediate class. Though the class was for 9-15 year olds, I was the only one over 12. The younger girls loved me, because they thought it was so cool that I wanted to do gymnastics too. As a college student, I worked out with my college club team. Though my skills were roughly L5, even 10 year old L10 girls who worked out in the gym would cheer me on. People who love the sport want to see other people love the sport. Age doesn't matter.

Now, you probably won't go to the Olympics or get a college scholarship, but you can enjoy competing, learning, and having fun. You might consider club gymnastics in college if you are interested.

gymjourneymom,

I believe the video you are talking about is on youtube, and is titled My Gymnastics Journey. There are many inspirational videos, but I have a feeling you are refering to that one. I will attempt to post the link below, but I have had trouble in the past with this :) On another note, as long as if you are having fun, it really makes the sport worth while. Age is just a number, not an identity.

YouTube - ‪My Gymnastics Journey‬‎

I apologize in advance if the link won't work, but I believe it should.

Not at all :)

I have two teammates who are 31 and 24 who both started later than usual and are doing just fine.

You are never to old to do gymnastics if you love the sport :D

No matter the age, gymnastics has no set age limit. You can be 25 and in level 5. You can also be age 16 and in level 5. Any age any level. I know it may be hard to compete with the younger girls, but find a gym where the girls who compete are at your level and age. Its also okay too, just compete, as long as it is still fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back