Too old to go back?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all. 19 years old and I left gymnastics when I was 7. Is it still too late to go back? I've gained weight and all that and I'm bigger than I was 11 years ago.

I think it’s something you’ll never know unless you try! I mean, yes, anyone can always go back- but what skills and what speed it takes to get them will be so different for everyone that’s its impossible to say what you’d be capable of. If you try and find yourself enjoying the challenge then it certainly can’t be a bad thing as it will get you in good shape!! Just dont set expectations too high because it will be hard. Good luck!

You can definitely go back as long as you are realistic with your goals - fun and fitness vs going to the Olympics. And at 19, with training and dedication, you can still gain lots of skills. Heck, at 30, with proper training, strength/prehab, and dedication, you can gain skills.

You probably have better body awareness, coordination, and ability to process directions/corrections now. On the other hand, you've probably lost some of your fearlessness, boundless energy, and possibly flexibility and air awareness ability as well (if you didn't continue to use those skills in another sport). You're also more difficult to spot now, so expect lots of drills and progressions along the way.

There are adult classes at some gyms with a HUGE range of abilities. I know of 4 women with widely differing ages and abilities who even compete USAIGC (I think) here. Anything is possible. The hardest part is whether or not their is a gym near you with adult classes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back