Parents TOPs season is here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Fijiwater

Proud Parent
TOPs testing starts for my DD in 2 weeks. She will likely do 3 state tests. Then we will have the dreaded wait to see if she will make it to National testing. If she does we will have the added bonus waiting time this year of waiting to see if she makes a team! Good thing I am already bald :) It was like pulling teeth last year waiting on 7 year old results. Hopefully I can be more patient this year. Anyone else gearing up for TOPs?

My daughter will be testing as a 10 year old this year. Last year she made B camp. The waiting definitely can be hard!! Good luck to your daughter (and you)!

Yep, we are brand spankin' new to TOPS, and DD will test as a 7yo! We're chalking up this year as a "learning experience" for DD. She's just not ready for the handstand hold or multiple press handstands, but she will also do 3 tests. Hopefully she will progress. Darn those handstands!!!!! ;)

No testing for us this year, but it's been fun watching our girls gear up for it. :) We still have til next year, and I'm enjoying the wait!

My daughter will be testing for the first time as a 10 year old in July. I found the physical abilities guidelines on the USAG website, but I am not sure about the skills testing. Are there routines?? If someone could shed some light on that portion, I would greatly appreciate it.

I was holding my breath will all of you in November/December last year waiting on the National Testing Results. I can't imagine how nervous I'll be for my own DD!

Yep, we are brand spankin' new to TOPS, and DD will test as a 7yo! We're chalking up this year as a "learning experience" for DD. She's just not ready for the handstand hold or multiple press handstands, but she will also do 3 tests. Hopefully she will progress. Darn those handstands!!!!! ;)
We're in the same boat, only struggling with rope climb and cast handstands. Well, and handstands...you can just never guarantee it will be a 30 second one! Good luck to your daughter!

How do u train? How do u motivate dd coach to train for it as well? When does she train? During regular team or privates?

Our coaches take it seriously, just
Like they do any other competition. There's really no need to encourage them. DD wants to be one of the best gymnasts so she works hard too. If your DD is driven to be the best she can be, I would just remind her that there is a country full of little girls just
like her that also want to be the best as well. Talent only gets you so far, hard work carries you the rest of the way.

Our gym trains tops during regular gym hours during tops season. The girls that do plan to test have an extra hour every day that's supposed to be tops. But they mostly just train all the tops stuff throughout the workout. Even girls who don't test still do all the physical abilities work outs.

We are starting a new TOPS program this summer and my daughter will train with them but the gym won't test until next year and she will be too old by then. She is mostly doing it because it means more hours in the gym and she actually likes conditioning.

How is the age group determined for what an athlete tests in. Is it similar to how they determine which age group they are in for meets?

I believe it's the age they are in that calendar year.
So, if you turn 8 between jan.1 through dec. 1, you will test as an 8 yo. Even if you're still technically 7.

That is what I thought to domalley, but my daughter turns 9 in December and the coach keeps telling her she tests as an 8 year old. She has been training 8 year old skills.

That is what I thought to domalley, but my daughter turns 9 in December and the coach keeps telling her she tests as an 8 year old. She has been training 8 year old skills.

Hmmm. I thought it was through the whole calendar year Jan 1-Dec 31

Definitely the whole calendar year! My daughter is lucky as far as TOPs testing goes. She has a bday early in the year. Her teammate has a late December bday and always had to test a year older than my daughter.

It is whatever age by the end of the year. I know cuz my daughter is 9 but turns 10 just before the end of the year and has to test as a 10 year old. Same thing last year, she had to test up a year. Sorry to tell you but if your daughter has a December birthday then she is testing as a 9 year old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back