Tops

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My gymmie is too old now----old lady at age 12! The gym she started at didn't do Tops, but I believe the test in our state is mid July.

I would think age 12 is the perfect age to continue testing for the TOPs program. They are hitting puberty and adjusting to their new growth spurts. Now that more and more women are named to the Olympic team when they are in their early to mid 20's--it kind of makes sense to continue to search for talent in the "older set" since they still have a chance to become Olympians when they get out of college.

DD doesn't do gymnastics anymore but I thought you might find it interesting that she tested at DeVeau's in Indy two summers ago. I'm assuming the IN in your name stands for Indiana. She was 8 at the time.

Ingymmom....if the In doesn't stand for Indiana, what does it stand for? That might be an intersting thread...What does everyone's name mean?. M23K's stands for.....Mom to three kids.

What about HOPES

Very cool M23K's - Yes it does stand for INdiana, although some confuse it with "in gym mom" as in, in the gym mom :D I never would have guessed your acronym ;)

You guys are in Region 5 still? or moved away? DeVeaus of course is still IN's main testing spot, but so many test in the whole region - I did not know they could test as many x's as they want.... Some test in IL, OH & IN.

I know we must have some TOPS testers here, or what about HOPES? We don't do TOPS at our gym either, but there has been some talk that we may possibly get to test in July. My dd would not be spectacular, but will probably enjoy the experience. Still have no clue.

I agree that the ages of 12 & 13 are still to young to be "cut off" from these types of programs. It seems to conflict woth USAG's (and the FIG's) message no? Girls would have to start training long hours of gymnastics at a young age to be able to do the skills testing as a 9 yr old - some girls are only 8 competing as 9 yr olds - if they turn 9 in the calendar year. I am not saying that all gyms train long hours that do TOPS, but still many train longer then most can handle long term - my dd's gym included. I wish there was a happy medium, which I think would be to extend the age as a possible solution. On that note, I think USAG should limit the hours certain ages of gymnast are allowed to train in Clubs - but that is an entirely different subject ;) OK, I am rambling and getting off topic here - need to drink my coffee and wake-up! LOL:p

Don't know that I would take a child who has had no TOPS training to a test. Not that I would doubt her strength etc., its just how specific they are on how each test is done. Honestly, I think that is what takes up a large chunk of the class time---learning how to do each test the way it will be tested because if you do it some other way, you get a zero. At our former gym, they started a TOPS group(for pre-team0, but only did if for 2 hours and my gymmie was on it for about 3 mos and then moved up to team and her team practice was at the same time as TOPS. They did send girls to test that had been doing it for about 4-5 mos and they did not do well at all and complained of feeling very nervous and not prepared enough for the way the test was held.

My DD is too young for TOPs (she's still 6) but our gym doesn't do it anyway. What I'd like to know is is TOPs a necessity for a gymnast who aims for elite, Olympics and college? Or is it possible to get there by simply completing the usual USAG levels?

My dd is 6 and our gym doesn't have a tops program. But my dd's coach is preparing her for the tops testing next year. The nearest testing would be about an hour away.

Ingymmom.....We're still in region 5 but I decided to pull DD out because of the commute and gas prices. At the time she tested for TOPS she was going to a gym in Indiana. Most recently though, she was attending a Kentucky gym.

Ingymmom.....We're still in region 5 but I decided to pull DD out because of the commute and gas prices. At the time she tested for TOPS she was going to a gym in Indiana. Most recently though, she was attending a Kentucky gym.

Our gym is in NW IN. Honestly if we had to make a commute for gym, we would make the same decision.. Too much wear and tear on the whole family.

My DD is too young for TOPs (she's still 6) but our gym doesn't do it anyway. What I'd like to know is is TOPs a necessity for a gymnast who aims for elite, Olympics and college? Or is it possible to get there by simply completing the usual USAG levels?

My dd is also 6, but turns 7 this year which makes her age eligible. TOPS is not necessary to becoming an elite, out of the hundreds of girls that train/test TOPS in the 7/8 yr old division there are still only a MAYBE a few that can make it to that level years later. Shawn Johnson did not do TOPS & Ivana Hong's gym does not do TOPS either (GAGE uses their own progression system).

My 5 year old dd is in a "tiny TOPs" program at her gym. I guess they are "grooming" them ,so to say, for TOPs when they hit 7 yrs old. Learning all the skills/test is a lot. they do a lot of timed sprints, leg lifts, press to handstands, over-stretches, etc. dd just got 1 press to handstand last week but it took all she had, she's the first to get it. most the kids on tiny TOPs are between 4 and 6. i have noticed her strength improve a lot since she started along with her flexibility.
I know the gym is going to send two or three TOPs this year to testing. This program was just started in the last year or two at our gym so its pretty new to us. lots of our coaches did TOPs as kids.
not sure how it will work out but as long as dd wants to do TOPs it ok with us.:) the only thing that is hard is Tiny TOPs last for 1 hour before her 2 1/2 hr L3 practice, so after those 3 1/2 hours she is exhausted:(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back