Torn ACL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
Has anyone had a torn ACL? What was the surgery and recovery like, and the bigger thing, how long before returning to gymnastics occurred? I am tentatively slated for surgery beginning-middle of June, and know its going to take quite a bit of rehab, but I was just wondering other people's journeys with this

I am not a gymnast, but a runner. I tore my ACL about 1.5 years ago. I tried to rehab to enough stability that I did not need to have surgery, but ultimately decided to have the surgery. The main thing to keep in mind is whether you use cadavar ligament or your own ligament or tendon. If you use your own, you will have another incision and recovery site. Your choices typically are hamstring tendon, patella tendon or ankle.

I used cadavar ligament because I am just a recreational athlete and I am middle age. Athletes and young people especially should use their own becuase it will give them the best long term stablility of the knee. That being said, since I had only one incision site (where the ligament was reattched to the bone) my recovery was not bad at all. My worst day was the day of the surgery and that was because of the anesthesia.

I had a good doctor and a good physical therapist and recovery went well - I really have no complaints. Had surgery January 23 and was doing light jogging by April (but only for short distances). It has now been a year and a half and I have no issues. I recommend having the surgery. Be patient and thorough with your physical therapy. It is very important. Don't get down because you are not as active - you should look at your rehab sessions as your workout. And do what you can for approved exercises even on days when you are not scheduled to see your therapist.

I will bet you can start back to modified workouts for gymnastics within 6-8 months. Doctors usually say around one year you will be back to training as you were. Best of luck - you will be back before you know it!

So i just found out today that i probably tore my acl too, and i'm going for an mri on monday. Hopefuly (if need be (hopefully not)) i can get into surgery that week or the week after... :(

6 months of recovery and rehab. 3 months to conditioning and kip conditioning on bars. approx 10 months to jogging, soft tumbling and basics. pain and the therapist will be your guide. most gymnasts have a complete recovery and a normal and uneventful return to gymnastics. good luck!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back