Off Topic track success stories with gymnasts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 17723
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No first hand experience other than a good friend of mine who is a high school athletic director told me of a young girl who left gymnastics because of injuries and became a top flight pole vaulter. I've also heard from a professional colleague of a young girl who left gymnastics because of ankle injuries becoming a diver and earning a full scholarship to the University of Southern California.

My daughter loves to sprint and I've considered signing her up with a local track club to refine her speed and power skills for the gym.

I know a level 10 gymmie that went Div 1 ride for track.

I did gymnastics all the way through high school, but started outdoor track my sophomore year as well. I'm now on a D3 track team at college, and I'm having a blast! I do pole vault and high jump. I know lots of girls who transitioned from gymnastics to track and are doing extremely well. One of my friends from gymnastics is barely 5 feet tall and she set her school's high jump record! I really feel that gymnastics prepares you both physically and mentally to excel in any sport. It's also an added bonus for me that I can continue doing track for much longer than I would have been able to continue in gymnastics, I love being on a team and competing. I think I would feel lost if I didn't have a sport as an outlet.

As far as which events I know gymnasts have done successfully? Sprinting, hurdling, jumping. I don't think gymnasts tend to be natural distance runners, but it can definitely be done...I don't know any gymnasts who do throwing events in track, though.

My dd was a level 10 gymnast and ended up being great at pole vault. We saw tons of former gymnasts at pole vault finals and at state! A lot of them competed in college. My dd was recruited for college as well.

I've had several gymnast go on to pole vault, hurdles, triple jump, long jump, and all distances of running (including CC).

One of our former gymnasts did take up throwing discus in high school. She is rather tall (at least for a gymnast) and very strong. She then discovered the hammer. She ended up with a scholarship at a division I school and was a 3 time All American. She is now training for the Olympic Trials. So don't discount throwing events as an option. My daughter says if gymnastics doesn't work out for her, plan B is the hammer.

Just a little update.... I've been doing track for almost two weeks now... I'm not totally in love but I think it is just because I'm used to a "harsher/tougher" environment and it's hard for me to watch kids goof off. But who knows. And the conditioning is such a waste... 5 pushups, really people??? But I've been off to an okay start... I'll be doing jumping events, probably pole vault and I'm trying long jump and triple later this week. I definitely feel it in my ankle but I'm adjusting well :) And all the coaches seems to love that I come from a gymnastics background:p If anyone has any other event advice or just track advice or handling track/gym/school advice... feel free to post :D

I was gymnast (level 8) went to school sports around jr high- several state championships in hurdles and D1 scholarship in basketball. I have a Family member who coaches college pole vault he actively looks for gymnasts to vault- especially if competed past level 8 because giant technique carries over so much to vaulting. They even train once a week at gymnastics facility.

I was gymnast (level 8) went to school sports around jr high- several state championships in hurdles and D1 scholarship in basketball. I have a Family member who coaches college pole vault he actively looks for gymnasts to vault- especially if competed past level 8 because giant technique carries over so much to vaulting. They even train once a week at gymnastics facility.
yeah... I'm not even close to level 8. very proficient at level4... have all my level 5 skills... some 7 skills. (I was out on injuries on and off for about a year and a half). But, I have giants with a strong tap on strap bar if that countsand a strong free hip hand....

My neighbor is only 12 and just recently quit gymnastics (she was level 9) and she is a track star. she has already been practicing pole vault with the high school and has had a very successful track season! Go for it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back