Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Training a double back off rings w/o pit rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Taucer

Former Admin
Verified Coach
Coach
Proud Relative
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Fan
Jan 21, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Country
USA
I think my one level 8 guy is ready to start learning double-backs off rings, but I'm not sure how best to teach them without pit rings. When I was learning, I basically just chucked it on pit rings until it felt good enough to do it on a mat.

Any pointers?

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Make sure he can do them on a tramp. Also, have him do a bunch of back tucks out of a support on the rings. This will give him an idea of how high the second flip should be. Beyond that....I don't really know.

I learned them into a pit, also.

CoachL

Apr 9, 2007
Any gyms in the area that you can take him to?

When I first started coaching my first gym didn't have a very good vaulting situation for teaching high level vaults. I called up a few local gyms that and talked with the owners and worked it out that we could come in once or twice a month and work vault.

JBS

Administrator
Staff member
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Former Gymnast
Sep 3, 2005
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Any gyms in the area that you can take him to?

When I first started coaching my first gym didn't have a very good vaulting situation for teaching high level vaults. I called up a few local gyms that and talked with the owners and worked it out that we could come in once or twice a month and work vault.
Great idea...it's always good to have friends at other clubs.

blantonnick

Coach
Coach
Former Gymnast
Judge
Club Owner
Apr 17, 2007
USA
How about trying...

How about trying to do a back 1 and a 1/4 onto a cheese mat and then backwards roll down the cheese mat? Kind of breaks the skill up but i guess it could give the feeling of a continuation of a somersault safely...you would have to slide the cheese mat under the rings however as i am sure that the childs legs would hit it if it were under the rings when he was swinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.