Training at WAIS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RosellaJam

Proud Parent
Can anyone help me with what to expect with young ones (6yo) training at WAIS? Her coach told me after I picked her up from training last night that she has had an email from them about my DD going for a tryout and I have no idea what questions I should be asking besides training hours and cost. I'm such a newbie at this gymnastics thing as I never did it as a child and DD has only been going for just over a year.

Help!?!

Ask the coach/senior club coach if they think your DD is WAIS material (personality is very important). The program is set for 25% fee increase so I imagine they are trying to bring in more kids to bring costs down. You don't want to go through that process with no real hope of making it to the higher levels, you are better off staying at your club.

Thanks. 25% increase is a huge amount when the cost would already be a lot more than at her regular club. I will be speaking to the coach more tomorrow night to find out some more info and will ask her opinion as to whether it could be right for DD.

Run!!!!! And keep running!! Lol..
No, it's more about whether you are prepared for what's to come. Your club and WAIS will probably tell you what you want to hear. The most important thing to consider, will you be able to keep up with the financial side of it.
In the beginning it will seem okay but it will quickly add up with training fees, comp costs, uniform, travel costs, AIS Camps, and so many others. To give you an idea of what we pay-
9 year old, doing 30 hours a week is around $2,800 per term, then there's two AIS camp per year at around $1,400 each, comps $800 per year, we do Pilates at $180 per term, competition accommodation around $1,300+ so far this year, plus so many other costs like massage, physio, tape, uniform, etc..
We are in Victoria though so costs may vary.

It's a HUGE commitment and if I had known then we wouldn't have made the choice, but my daughter is obsessed and loves it so it's extremely hard to back out now. But its a constant 'term-by-term' type thing. We evaluate each term and choice, as a family, if we should continue.

Have you got other children?? That's a huge consideration too! You'll be driving back and forth all the time so will they cope with that??

WAIS is also going through massive changes
at the moment, with some groups/squads without coaches while the changes happen.

There's a lot to consider!!!! Good luck with it all and I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you, your daughter and your family!! [emoji4][emoji4]

Well DD had her trial yesterday and TBH I don't think she'll get in so I don't need to worry too much. We will find out mid next week. She had a great time though and the coaches were really lovely.

I'm sure she did just fine. It's not about how she did on the day, more about what potential they see in her for the future!!!!

Her skills won't even really come into the equation when they make the desicion. It won't matter if the other girls could do far more. The selection will be based on things she has no control over like body type and personality.

They will be looking for small, strong, flexible, fast twitch kids with the right personality for training.

DD had a second trial on Saturday and I've just had a phone call to say they want her to train with them for January and term 1! She is so excited and can't wait to start. At this point we'll give it a go and see how it all works out and then re-assess towards the end of the term.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's definitely helped with getting my head around all of this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back