Parents Training hours for levels 6/7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for all of the responses! As I suspected, our gym is on the low end for the group my daughter would likely train with. I think there has possibly been some discussion about a slight increase. It is helpful to know what other gyms are doing.

Has anyone opted to practice fewer hours? Saying you are not going on Wednesdays or whatever because your kid just needs one day to not be stressed about homework.

Has anyone opted to practice fewer hours? Saying you are not going on Wednesdays or whatever because your kid just needs one day to not be stressed about homework.
JMO your mileage may vary.

Yes. If my kid is stressing and needs downtime she takes it.

And at our gym Saturdays are strongly recommended/encouraged, but not required. When we finally added Saturday (and it made the coaches cranky with us parents that we didn’t have her ther at L3/4), it was with the understanding that my daughter can opt out of one a month if she chooses. We waited as long as possible to add them.

She understands training is important especially now at Optionals. She doesn’t always take her opt outs, especially close to states but she takes them. She is a hard worker and doesn’t take advantage. I also think it’s important to give her some control and the option to say I just need a day off or time to catch up elsewhere. Sometimes just knowing she can take a day is enough.

I think if we didn’t give her some control and did 4 days sooner. She would of been a superstar L4 and have quit.

I personally think 30 hours I crazy unless you are elite.
The group my daughter is in is called the Fast Track Elite (girls who are elite or trying to go elite). The normal level 7-10 I think go 15-20 hours, home school and gym all takes place at the gym for the fast track girls.

our 7/8 girls go 19 hours but by the time they actually get out of there it's never only 19/week. there is always something they need to finish or go in early for. I'd say it's closer to 20.

The group my daughter is in is called the Fast Track Elite (girls who are elite or trying to go elite). The normal level 7-10 I think go 15-20 hours, home school and gym all takes place at the gym for the fast track girls.

I get that. Our gym has a similar group. My daughter is in the fast track group (although she is not interested in/not “good” enough for elite) and does an additional 6 hours about the normal 12 for level 4. The Fast Track level 6/7 girls (there are 20 girls total in that fast track group including the TOPS girls) do 22 hours. We have another FT group of level 8-10 girls, including a couple who will do HOPES this season, but even those girls train 24 hours I’m pretty sure. Only the qualified, actual elite girls train over that. I just think at level 7-8, even if hoping for elite/HOPES, 30 hours is too many. But, that’s why there are different gyms and programs and we all make the best decisions we can for our own children.

I get that. Our gym has a similar group. My daughter is in the fast track group (although she is not interested in/not “good” enough for elite) and does an additional 6 hours about the normal 12 for level 4. The Fast Track level 6/7 girls (there are 20 girls total in that fast track group including the TOPS girls) do 22 hours. We have another FT group of level 8-10 girls, including a couple who will do HOPES this season, but even those girls train 24 hours I’m pretty sure. Only the qualified, actual elite girls train over that. I just think at level 7-8, even if hoping for elite/HOPES, 30 hours is too many. But, that’s why there are different gyms and programs and we all make the best decisions we can for our own children.
My issue with that many hours is the overuse injuries. We were at a gym with hours like that, and at one point, over half the team had stress fractures from overuse. I think it depends on the type of coaching and conditioning too. Our gym does 20 hours for level 6/7. Level 8 gets about the same, maybe a couple of hours more here and there. This seems to be about average compared to other programs. I think it would be hard to do optionals going less than 16 hours per week.

Our gym is on the very low side. Our levels 7-9 train only 14.5 hours per week. But, we also do not have TOPS or Hopes or anyone beyond level 9 right now. The girls do well at meets as well as states and regionals. Training groups are kept small, so there is very little downtime. It seems to be working okay for them, but I wonder how much better they would be if they had a few more hours.

Reactions: SMH

We are a “laid back” gym and we have girls who do that, plus the coach will take off once or twice a month. It’s unfortunate for my daughter because she wants to be more serious as an 8. Not to mention, 6-8 only practices 13 hours/week. DD does workouts on her own (conditioning), but wants more gym time.

Our level 6/7 are at 14 hours a week, but, they are 14 jammed pack hours. I am not complaining as we compete well when we compete!! It also allows my daughter a quality of life as she has a couple week days off and is done earlier in the evening than when she was in compulsories.

How many hours do the level 6/7s train at your gym?

I feel like our gym has high training hours for compulsories but then they are on the low end for the beginning of optionals.

Thanks!

Level 6 16 hours and optional 3 on Saturday for the girls who want to do TOPS or get extra time in
And the occasional private

How many hours do the level 6/7s train at your gym?

I feel like our gym has high training hours for compulsories but then they are on the low end for the beginning of optionals.

Thanks!
Also, I guess the other question is how many girls train at that time because that impacts the amount of time they actually get on each apparatus. We have 10 girls in level 6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back