WAG Trampoline parks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It's not about your information, it's your delivery. Your general demeanor of acting like everyone else is an idiot. It's not limited to this thread. It is what it is though. I get that you're a fancy, respected gym guy and just I'm a normal mom of normal, crappy gymnasts, but you make people feel bullied.

Believe me, I hear you and I have learned first hand that dunno is not the know all, end all, be all that everyone around here thinks he is but I will defend him till the end on this tramp park stuff and although his tone can be harsh sometimes and he definitely has the ego of a successful gym coach, please know how much he tries to help people here. It may not have worked out well for me, but I know many who he has helped and taken time out to listen to and have conversations with that their own coaches wouldn't have and in moments of craziness and frustration as well. We are lucky to have him, demeanor and all.

So back to tramp parks. He is dead on in this stuff. I know personally two serious injuries that have taken place at these places, one being the youngest complete ACL reconstruction our major metropolitan area had ever seen.

These places are very dangerous and if a little bullish talk and scary articles keeps just a few more out of these places then I am all for it. My kids won't ever step foot in these places and yes I have kept them home from even their best friends birthday parties to protect them.

Believe me, I hear you and I have learned first hand that dunno is not the know all, end all, be all that everyone around here thinks he is but I will defend him till the end on this tramp park stuff and although his tone can be harsh sometimes and he definitely has the ego of a successful gym coach, please know how much he tries to help people here. It may not have worked out well for me, but I know many who he has helped and taken time out to listen to and have conversations with that their own coaches wouldn't have and in moments of craziness and frustration as well. We are lucky to have him, demeanor and all.

So back to tramp parks. He is dead on in this stuff. I know personally two serious injuries that have taken place at these places, one being the youngest complete ACL reconstruction our major metropolitan area had ever seen.

These places are very dangerous and if a little bullish talk and scary articles keeps just a few more out of these places then I am all for it. My kids won't ever step foot in these places and yes I have kept them home from even their best friends birthday parties to protect them.

I am a huge believer in to each their own, and respect your opinion (and believe it or not, dunno's). I just disagree with the amount of risk and need for abject fear of the places. I also understand how revered he is around here and knew what I was opening myself up to by criticizing him, but I stand by my feelings on that. I don't see why luck is involved- everyone else here is part of this same community but manages to be nicer and more civil about it. I didn't expect it to be a popular opinion but I'm also certain I'm not alone.

As far as the original question- our coaches have never told our kids anything about it (and we have 4 within a 25 mile radius).

The ones around here are pretty crazy, and rules are not particularly enforced. Men's coach didn't flat out forbid going, but he requested it of us. I've only let my son go one time since he started on team (a bit over 2 years ago), and that was with a teammate, at a pretty non-busy time of day.

I am a huge believer in to each their own, and respect your opinion (and believe it or not, dunno's). I just disagree with the amount of risk and need for abject fear of the places. I also understand how revered he is around here and knew what I was opening myself up to by criticizing him, but I stand by my feelings on that. I don't see why luck is involved- everyone else here is part of this same community but manages to be nicer and more civil about it. I didn't expect it to be a popular opinion but I'm also certain I'm not alone.

I totally respect that and we can agree to disagree on the tramp park situation. :)

I knew I was opening myself up when I posted what I did as well and I appreciate that we can disagree in a civil and mature way and I stand by my opinion of him as well.

I am not for them... coach has not forbid them either.
I wish we could forbid high school competitive cheer around here.
Last year, we lost an L8 for the season after 1 meet due to a cheer injury (ankle) and a couple others for less time, but still...
And this year, we have already lost another L8 for 6 months (had elbow surgery last week for a cheer camp injury). I am hoping she can come back end of season as Xcel Platinum with extremely watered down routines.

Back when i was a kid (4th grade and 6th grade and 7th grade), we had a unit of trampoline in gym. The entire class would stand around a tramp some of us could barely see over to "catch" a kid if they started to fall. The gym teacher put limits on everyone and, knowing my "history," i was the most limited... bounce, seat drop, bounce, bounce half turn, bounce, seat drop, bounce, done - sooner if i strayed more than 6 inches from the middle, lol.

I need to thank him next time i see him ;)

I am not for them... coach has not forbid them either.
I wish we could forbid high school competitive cheer around here.
Last year, we lost an L8 for the season after 1 meet due to a cheer injury (ankle) and a couple others for less time, but still...
And this year, we have already lost another L8 for 6 months (had elbow surgery last week for a cheer camp injury). I am hoping she can come back end of season as Xcel Platinum with extremely watered down routines.

I think this is funny just because 10 ish years ago (2008) was my last year of gymnastics, and I told my coaches I was switching to cheerleading. Their reaction was as if I told them the sky was falling.
Our gym lost a few of their girls to cheer in their teen years because the hours are less demanding and more favorable for highschool athletes. More so, level 6/7 gymnasts tumbling would translate to a level 5 cheer team, which is the most elite/ worlds caliber team.

But to your point - I would have probably not been allowed to simultaneously do both.

As for trampoline parks - I have had my fair share of issues with them, and will likely never return. Poor staff training in injury prevention/ safety... But even more-so if a serious injury does happen - the staff is not trained on how to deal with that. I am not at liberty to discuss specifics to the incident on a public forum, but I have sufficient reason to advise ANYONE against going to these places.

Our HC told everyone that she does not want the girls to have tramps in their back yards or go to the tramp gyms. She said if you have one, get rid of it now. My kids have begged for a tramp for years, and are always wanting to go to one of those places. I use the distract and guilt method to avoid it. I distract in the short term and apply guilt by saying "what would HC say if she heard about this". Works every time. That said, I worry about those places- years ago my mom told me they had them all over the place, but outdoors (where she grew up). Her HS PE teacher was paralyzed at one. So I have a healthy fear of tramp parks established in me from a young age. ;)

Good to hear from you dunno.....I guess....lol

This summer......my kid broke both feet, at separate times......within months of each other.....on the trampoline/ tramp park.

I have a thick head.....finally done with these places for good.

here's the funny thing... haven't heard a thing from head coaches, but any orthopedic dr. I know has told us to stay away from tramp parks. Unless I am trying to keep them in business. Haven't told us to stop doing gymnastics, but don't go to tramp parks. I found that interesting.

Reading the entire article is important to understand the issue. But here is the section that points right to heart of an age old problem of history repeating itself. George Nissen was the inventor of the trampoline. This article is from 1960 New York Times.

“Something else had happened by then that also filled Nissen with conflicting emotions. The first inkling of this turn of events came in the fall of 1959, when orders for trampolines started to arrive from a new source: small operators interested in opening outdoor "jump centres." San Diego got its first one in late November of that year at the corner of 64th Street and University Avenue, and in its first 40 days of operation, the owner took in almost $3000. Such success ignited interest among others, and within just four months, 20 operators in San Diego County had either opened centres or announced plans to do so. (Among them was world light heavyweight boxing champion Archie Moore.)
In larger cities, the growth was even wilder. "Last fall there were three jump centres in the Los Angeles area," reported a Life magazine cover story on the phenomenon. "Now [May 2, 1960] there are 175 there and another 150 in Miami, Phoenix, Houston, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Reno, Hawaii, and other places. Matrons trying to reduce, executives trying to relax, and kids trying to outdo each other are plunking down 40 cents for a half hour of public bouncing at trampoline centres which are spreading the way miniature golf courses spread several decades ago." Newsweek reported that a plot of land, about $8000 for equipment, and some liability insurance could generate an average gross income of $1500 a month. It added that Nissen expected his company's gross sales to reach $4 million in 1960 (up from $900,000 in 1957) and was building a $615,000 plant to house his 100 workers. It quoted the Iowa inventor as boasting that the list of backyard jumpers by then included "Vice President Richard Nixon, Yul Brynner, a brace of Rockefellers, auto-TV man Earl (Madman) Muntz, and King Farouk."
If Nissen felt elated to see his invention at last take America by storm, he fretted over the format of the centres. "We didn't like them!" he declares today. He says he often grilled would-be operators about how their places would be managed, but they'd brush away his questions. "You just get a girl to take tickets!" they'd say. Financing often seemed to be on a shoestring, Nissen says. And the newcomers were frighteningly ignorant of the dangers faced by untrained jumpers. Part of the pitch, Nissen explains, was that the centres were safe because they featured trampolines at ground level, set into pits. " 'You can't fall off!' That was the line. Well, it sounds good, but it is absolutely bad," Nissen says. Trampolines set into the damp ground get wet. "Anyone can walk onto them, with shoes and everything." And injuries from falling off trampolines have always tended to be minimal, Nissen says. The most cataclysmic accidents happen in the middle of the bed.
He couldn't buck the tidal wave, however. "There were actually 50 manufacturers of trampolines at that time. In Texas alone, I don't know, there were 20 or 25. If you didn't [sell trampolines to the jump centres], they'd go down the street and buy them somewhere else." Nissen tried to organize a franchise called Jumpin' Jiminy that was run with proper supervision. But whenever someone got hurt anywhere, people concluded that all trampolines were unsafe.
And get hurt they did. In San Diego, just days after the San Diego Union ran a long story about "San Diego youngsters from 8 to 80 jumping for joy," a 15-year-old beauty queen candidate from Coronado knocked out three of her front teeth at a jump centre (forcing her to withdraw from the Miss Coronado pageant and prompting her parents to sue the operator for $52,000). Almost simultaneously, a 16-year-old high school football player from Kearny Mesa was paralyzed at a jump centre on Ulric Street. "He was trying an extremely difficult 'suicide dive' after only two visits to a centre and instead of taking the fall on his back and shoulders, hit right on the top of his head with his whole weight on his neck," the Union later quoted one of the centre operators. After two weeks in the hospital, the boy died.
As the list of injuries - fatal and minor - mounted, the San Diego City Council scrambled to try to regulate the centres. But while the council dithered, the marketplace was imposing a more draconian punishment on those who had sunk their savings into the craze. By late August of 1960, "what went up was plainly coming down," Newsweek reported. Typical monthly profits had plunged to "a soggy $500," according to the magazine, and the centres were closing in droves. In San Diego, a year after the fad had begun, the Union reported that "trampolin [sic] centres have joined the limbo of hula hoops, yo-yos, and marathon dancing."

Hello,

Thank you for diligent work in keeping the best interest of our sport in mind. Below is our organization’s official statement regarding trampoline use.

USA Gymnastics statement regarding trampoline use

Use of trampolines requires appropriate and careful supervision, competent instruction, and proper equipment and safety measures, in an environment where these requirements can be met.

USA Gymnastics only endorses the use of trampolines in properly supervised, progression-oriented programs directed by USA Gymnastics professional members. USA Gymnastics club programs are designed to follow the highest in both safety and equipment standards in the development and training of an athlete.

April 8, 2011

Susan Jacobson

USA Gymnastics

Trampoline & Tumbling

Program Director

317-829-5674 | phone

317-237-5069 | fax

sjacobson@usagym.org

www.usagym.com

Begin Here…Go Anywhere

AAP study differentiates between structured trampoline programs and backyard trampolines

09/24/2012

C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS, Sept. 24, 2012 – The American Academy of Pediatrics today released a policy statement, "Trampoline safety in childhood and adolescence." Although the piece focused mostly on the dangers of backyard trampolines, the paper separated backyard/recreational trampolines and activities from trampolines used in structured training programs. The statement's conclusion stated, "Pediatricians should only endorse use of trampolines as part of a structured training program with appropriate coaching, supervision and safety measures in place."

"In a supervised environment like a gymnastics club, trampoline activity has incredible benefits for kids, whether training for a sport or getting fit," said Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics. "USA Gymnastics club programs are designed to follow the highest in both safety and equipment standards in the development and training of an athlete. The differences between a backyard trampoline and trampoline training at a gymnastics club are vast, and we applaud the AAP for recognizing those differences as noted in today's policy statement."

Dr. George Drew, an emergency room doctor, was a consultant on developing the AAP policy and also serves as a national trampoline coach and team physician for USA Gymnastics. He is board certified in emergency medicine and is with Valley Emergency Physicians in South Bend, Ind., which is affiliated with Indiana University School of Medicine at the University of Notre Dame.

"The authors were careful to separate competitive trampoline and structured training programs from the injuries seen in backyard trampoline use and jump/trampoline parks," said Drew, who is a past competitive trampolinist. "As a consultant to the study, I was pleased they took the time to carefully examine the safety differences between backyard trampolines and a structured program. Every single safety recommendation made by authors is already in place at any reputable program in our sport."

Some of the benefits of trampoline activity include: low-impact cardiovascular training; working the muscles of the entire body at one time; building spatial awareness; and cross training for many sports, such as gymnastics, BMX biking, skate and snow boarding, water skiing, wake boarding, snow skiing, trick skiing, and diving. Trampoline is also an effective and easy way for overweight individuals to get in shape and enjoy an athletic activity from the beginning.

In gymnastics clubs, coaches use a variety of teaching tools – a bungee system, rope/belt harness, pit training, etc. – and follow the accepted skill progression, which means an athlete does not do a skill until he/she has mastered the appropriate progression of easier and preliminary skills.

"This is not the first time that AAP has examined trampoline use in their patient population," said Drew. "This is the third official policy statement since 1971, but it is really the first time the authors and organization have recognized the differences between backyard trampolines and structured training programs. One of the key points in the statement is, 'Given the significant differences between the recreational and the structured training settings, extrapolation of data from the recreational setting to a formal training program is not appropriate.' This is an indication of the thorough examination done by the authors, and the recognition that the trampoline is a piece of gymnastics equipment that was not intended to become a backyard toy."

The use of trampolines requires appropriate and careful supervision, competent instruction, and proper equipment and safety measures, in an environment where these requirements can be met. USA Gymnastics only endorses the use of trampolines in properly supervised, progression-oriented programs directed by USA Gymnastics professional members.

Trampoline joined the Olympic program in 2000, and the United States has qualified an athlete at every Games. In 2008 and 2012, the USA qualified both a man and a woman for the Olympic Games, and in 2012, Savannah Vinsant became the first U.S. gymnast to advance to the finals. The modern trampoline was patented by George Nissen in 1945 as a training tool for gymnastics, acrobats and military aviators. It grew into a competitive sport in the 1960s and 1970s.

The following data are from ONE trampoline park in a 3 month period.

upload_2017-8-24_0-16-26.png

upload_2017-8-24_0-17-14.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Would I transport means would they or did they.

upload_2017-8-24_0-20-3.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back