Parents Transition to more hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

annsethlucy

Proud Parent
Daughter is in beginner squad. She went from 1.5 hours one day to 2 hours. She had had a big day the day before and had a cold too. But after she was just so tired and grumpy. I'm guessing it's a mix of the cold and tiredness from day before and transitioning to extra time. Is there anything I can do to help her? She wouldn't really eat much after either. Although I tried to get food and water into her she was just wrecked.

They did alot of bar work and she was the only one able to do the move so they worked her hard at it and I think she was just exhausted. She pushes herself too. She wont stop if she's tired or if it's hard. She will put 100%into absolutely everything lol. Blessing and a curse?

Time. It’s not about one day or 30 mins. She will adjust.

Make sure she is hydrated, fed and gets good rest, then time

You can make sure she stays hydrated and gets plenty of rest. Think of how you feel with a cold. Way less energy as your body fights the germ. Adding practice time while sick is definitely going to exhaust her. Depending on how sick she is, she may just need a day off to rest. Once she's feeling better, I'm sure she'll adjust just fine to the longer practice.

Thanks. I asked if she wanted to leave it this week but she wanted to go and it's not a really bad cold. Hopefully she will be better for next time then.

Have you tried milk or chocolate milk as a recovery drink right after practice? The sugar provides a quick pick-me-up, and the protein helps them last until they get home to dinner. For some kids, chocolate milk is appealing enough that you can convince them to drink it even if they are resisting other foods and liquids.

Related question: a few times recently my daughter has not felt her best and despite me asking has not wanted to leave practice. She had a cold, a headache and then allergy season kicked in which we have under control now, but we weren’t sure that’s what it was at first. Her coach however I think would prefer them to go home but won’t come out and say it. What is your experience with this? As they age I am sure they get used to practicing with allergies or something innocuous. Does your gym have a policy on illness? Obviously fever and vomit are stay home illnesses but other things?

This topic is interesting and will be a hot sport with some gyms and athletes. I know it is obvious but I want to say that with levels advancement comes hour increases. I am aware that every year the advance in hours increases the chance to DD saying goodbye to the sport. Now a freshly minted 12 year old she still sees her dreams above all else. Next year she will move to 6 days a week and we will see what that brings. My brain says 6 days a week and 12 ok but 6 days a week when aged 15 I foresee some hard times.

Take away this dilemma is the sport of gymnastics at the JO level.

There is a difference between adjusting to a new schedule and feeling a bit off (minor cold/allergies etc) and being sick. Or a bit tired vs exhausted for whatever reason.

Exhausted and sick can increase the risk of injury.

And if you know your kid, you know the difference.

My kid started MS this year, had to be up 2 hours earlier than she was used to. She did take a day off of practice that week. There was no time to nap.

The first week of gym camp. They are all adjusting to more training hours but able to sleep later because no school and nap because of no homework. She goes, no time off. And she naps a bunch that first week.

Allergies, if they are bad enough for her to feel her equilibrium is off, she stays home. I don’t feel dizzy and tumbling, beam and bars are a good mix.

I’ve also noticed for mine (I don’t know everyone else’s kid). One of the worse symptom of puberty is exhaustion. She has taken more naps in the last 6 months, then she has since preschool.

And my kid is pretty self aware and she knows me. If she doesn’t feel well enough to go to gym that means rest. She is usually asleep by the time I’m done emailing the coach she won’t be at practice.

This topic is interesting and will be a hot sport with some gyms and athletes. I know it is obvious but I want to say that with levels advancement comes hour increases. I am aware that every year the advance in hours increases the chance to DD saying goodbye to the sport. Now a freshly minted 12 year old she still sees her dreams above all else. Next year she will move to 6 days a week and we will see what that brings. My brain says 6 days a week and 12 ok but 6 days a week when aged 15 I foresee some hard times.

Take away this dilemma is the sport of gymnastics at the JO level.

I think it's pretty rare to practice 6 days a week. Most gyms I know about go M-F or they go on Saturday morning with a day off during the week.

@ernestine You have polled many gyms around these 50 states? I know gyms in DD's region that train six days a week Monday -Friday 730am-630pm with a short Saturday I also know many gyms that train less. My 6 day comment was not about anyone's athlete but my own while hoping the new gym parents reading this thread educate themselves on what gymnastics may require for their children to reach their gymnastic dreams.

[My 6 day comment was not about anyone's athlete but my own while hoping the new gym parents reading this thread educate themselves on what gymnastics may require for their children to reach their gymnastic dreams.

Clearly not Ernestine, but I think she was posting because the operative word is may.

Yes there are gyms that do 6 days. And there are gyms that only do 3-4 days.

Your initial post about 6 days really didn't clarify that its the path your child is on.

Its important for new parents to know that 6 days at upper levels is not the absolute.

And folks find the gym that works for their family and child. And it varies greatly.

Your initial post about 6 days really didn't clarify that its the path your child is on.

Its important for new parents to know that 6 days at upper levels is not the absolute.

This is a ridiculous post...he was specifically talking about his daughter, and saying that she would move to 6 days a week next, and he wasn’t sure how she would like that when she was 15. He made zero generalizations beyond the fact that hours increase as levels increase.

And we all know that some gyms do fewer hours at higher levels, since you tell us every single time the subject comes up (or doesn’t). Your bias is showing.

Also the statement was, "It's pretty rare to practice 6 days a week." In my state, at least 1/2 of major gyms go 6 days a week by optionals. I think it's actually significantly higher than that, but I can't be 100% certain because not every gym puts their hours online (or has someone I know attending.)

To add further I believe gymnastics is a wonderful sport, a wonderful experience, and a wonderful teacher of life in general. All my opinions. She tried many other sports and they resulted in tears. Gymnastics started with tears, five minutes and turned to smiles. Knowing what I know now I'd let her do it again but knowing the facts and the demands may help future parents find their way. This sport for parents is largely self taught.

This sport for parents is largely self taught.
True story

Pretty much the same for other sports too. I remember the son's baseball/soccer days. Perhaps it seems worse for gymnastics since there are less kids doing it compared to the more common/school ones. It was easier to pick other parents brains at games and school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back