Parents transitioning to dance from gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
DD (11) has been doing gymnastics most of her life and gave up dance at age 7 or so. Of course there is some dance in floor and beam, but it's not the same as a regular dance class. She just announced that she thinks this might be her last season of gym and that she is interested in transitioning to dance. I'm not expecting that she be a professional dancer or anything like that -I'm just looking for something to keep her active and for her to enjoy. I'd love to hear if any of you have any experience with this transition and in particular I'm interested in hearing if a former gymnast with little to no dance experience is able to pick up dance at a level with kids her age coming in so late to it. Of course I will be looking for a more laid back dance studio -not a rigorous ballet program and not a competitive dance program or anything like that.

My dd has not transitioned to dance, but she takes a class every once in awhile with her dancer sister just for fun and to do something different. The dance teacher is always bemoaning her rigidity and lack of fluid movement. lol. I told her that compulsory took the fluid right out of her. haha. Anyway, I would expect there to be some adjustment with that, but honestly I think a gymnast could move quite well into dance, particularly if there is acro involved.

My YDD transitioned out of gym and into serious dancing a year ago, when she was 13. She’d done a little dancing before then, but had been doing gym (T&T and rhythmic) 20-30 hours a week. She’s just last month been made an apprentice at a dance company, was placed en pointe, and has been told she has a good shot at majoring in dance in college even though she’s already a junior. The dedication that gymnasts show to their sport can carry them far when switched to a new activity. Since your DD is looking for something more recreational I think she will do great and fit in very well with her age peers.

look for some place that has acro dance. you might even find a place that does competitions. my oldest competes and she does acro, ballet, elite company, company and tap. she does not compete tap but competes the other 4 classes for a total of 5 dances at competitions. she only dances 2 days a week for about 7-8 hours total each week. i compare her studio's competition team to Xcel. it's really laid back, lots of fun but her dance teacher is starting to get more strict but still not "dance moms" at all with competitions. my oldest uses switch leaps, FWO, BWO, she's working on her BHS and other various leaps. her dance teachers are big into lifts too. it's a fairly young team with my 14yo being one of the oldest in the studio.
she will not major in dance or be on broadway but she enjoys it and loves the competitions. this year we are doing 2 "regionals" plus nationals. we did 2 regionals plus nationals (for the first time) last year. 3 out of 5 of their dances placed at the nationals they went to in their categories. 1 2nd place and 2 3rd places. they were thrilled. i say all of that to tell you to not automatically think she can't compete on a team. she absolutely can and it's a lot of fun - more fun and less stressful than my gymnast's meets. :p

I have a friend whose daughter moved from gymnastics to dance after level 7. She was new to dance but took to it so quickly and now loves it as much as she had gymnastics.

My DD transition to dance from gymnastics. We started the transition while she was still at the gym (doing Xcel 5 hours/week) with a once a week Jazz class. You couldn't tell the difference between her and the rest of the class, most of whom were dancing since they were 3.
The following year she quit gymnastics and took 4 dance classes - ballet, jazz, modern, hip hop. A year later we switched studios to the one with the competition team. And again, most girls had been there since they were little, but DD fit right in and caught up nicely.
Our current studio is very similar to what @e'smum is describing above, "Xcell" equivalent of dance. Even though they compete, but they only dance twice a week for a total of about 6 hours a week. Very low key, only 3 competitions a year, 3-4 dances each. And yes, it's fun that DD can use some of her gymnastics training in her dance. She does ROBHS in her solo this year, and she does aeriels in her other dances.
She's been mad at me for years for "making her quit gymnastics". A couple of weeks ago she told me you know what, I'm glad you made me quit, gymnastics was fun, but I feel really happy when I dance. LOL Finally!

I would not summarily rule out a "rigorous ballet studio." Our city's professional ballet company operates a fantastic school that includes a catch-up class for tweens just starting out, adult drop-in classes for ages 15+, and a single "workshop" performance for parents each year with costumes provided. Students who wish to perform more often can audition for the ensemble, which does not compete. There is a live pianist for all ballet classes, which really enhances the experience. The program is rigorous in the sense that it teaches proper technique, but the instructional style is very positive and the kids seem to have a great time while working hard. Although the school regularly produces professional dancers, it also enrolls a large number of students who just enjoy dancing and go on to other pursuits after graduating high school. Many return to take adult classes during college and beyond.

Having experienced both recreationally focused and "serious" ballet instruction, I find rigorous classes much more satisfying and enjoyable. I would suspect that a former gymnast might find recreational or even competitive dance training boring and unfulfilling, and prefer serious classes even if the goal is not to perform regularly.

I would not summarily rule out a "rigorous ballet studio." Our city's professional ballet company operates a fantastic school that includes a catch-up class for tweens just starting out, adult drop-in classes for ages 15+, and a single "workshop" performance for parents each year with costumes provided. Students who wish to perform more often can audition for the ensemble, which does not compete. There is a live pianist for all ballet classes, which really enhances the experience. The program is rigorous in the sense that it teaches proper technique, but the instructional style is very positive and the kids seem to have a great time while working hard. Although the school regularly produces professional dancers, it also enrolls a large number of students who just enjoy dancing and go on to other pursuits after graduating high school. Many return to take adult classes during college and beyond.

Having experienced both recreationally focused and "serious" ballet instruction, I find rigorous classes much more satisfying and enjoyable. I would suspect that a former gymnast might find recreational or even competitive dance training boring and unfulfilling, and prefer serious classes even if the goal is not to perform regularly.

This post reminded me of one thing that my gymnast mentioned after taking a dance class (like others above, the dance class was at a relaxed "Xcel" type studio). She was very taken aback at the lack of work ethic among some of the girls and the general disorder of the class. Now maybe it was just that class, but after the discipline and structure of gym, it stood out to her. Along those lines, looking for classes at a more rigorous studio might be a better fit, depending on your dd's personality and what she wants. Just something to keep in mind. :)

Yep, I'm a former gymnast who started ballet at 30 and has continued it (for almost 20 yrs) when I can for strength and exercise. I really like the rigor and challenges that it provides. Although I have not been able to take a class in the past 6 months due to my daughters gymnastics schedule. :)

Although I have not been able to take a class in the past 6 months due to my daughters gymnastics schedule. :)

I am in the same boat! My class is on Saturday mornings, when it seems that I am always driving to a meet, getting ready to drive to a meet, or trying to catch up with household tasks neglected due to last weekend's meet.

I have a different opinion than some of the other posters. We have lots of experience with dance both competition studio and the top preprofessional ballet program here. I think most ex gymnasts would not excel in a ballet only training program and more importantly would be bored silly. If you can afford it, I recommend trying a good competitive dance studio. Rec classes probably won’t be rigorous enough, but may be your only option until summer as most competitive dance stdios are too far into the year to take new dancers in November. If you ask they would probably let her do technique classes with the team dancers, just not good timing for actually joining team. Lots of gymnasts have a blast with hip hop and also work their way into doing well at the other genres. Go for it!

Not to sound cliche but every child is different. Like any performing arts, or sport, or fine art, it would depend on the child's natural ability to pick up a new skill, sport, etc. That said, because of the strength and flexibility gymnasts have, they seem to have an upper hand in picking up a new sport, skill or undertaking of any kind. Technique in dance is best learned through ballet, unless she likes hip hop, break dancing, wacking (still can't believe this is a dance style), etc. Ballet can appear slow in the beginning; and gymnasts may get bored. But those barre exercises are important to open up the hips and on the turn out--very important in ballet. At 11, she is not too old to start dance and even ballet, nor is she too old to be successful in it. I typically don't start kids on pointe untill 11. If her ankles and legs are strong, she may start on pointe faster than you think. Her ability to pick up choreography may be challenged at first. But I don't see why she would not be successful in dance because of her age. Dancers have longer successful careers. They don't top out at 20.

This is my two cents and personal opinion and experience on competitive dance. My youngest did competitive dance for three years. I did not know what was involved since I did not have this during the olden days (my days). The costumes, make up, routines, seemed inappropriate to me for my then 9 year old. The rigorous practice schedules and ridiculously expensive costumes were a little too much for me as well. Each costume was at least $200 and she was in 6-10 numbers. Every time she competed it was around $600 registration fee (each number had a registration fee from $40-$120 depending on whether it was a solo, duo, trio, small group, large group, grand line, etc.). During comp season, we were at the comp for 3 solid days (sun up to sun down) because she had to be in 6-10 numbers and her studio wanted you there two hours before your first number. Nationals (but not really nationals, it is based on venue) was a whole week. After three years, I forced her to try a ballet intensive camp and lucky for me she loved it. She is in an all ballet rigorous dance studio and loves it. If I could add a class or two of another dance style to round her out as a dancer, I'd be very happy. But I am content where she is.

My 12 yo dd did a little dance on the side while in gymnastics and this year decided cut back on her gym (joined a USAIGC team) so she could increase her dance. She's now doing three hours - jazz, ballet, hip hop - all at an intermediate level. She's middle of the pack on the jazz and hip hop, probably the worst in the room in ballet, but working hard to catch up. For now she's loving the mix and in the spring she will decide if she wants to keep this balance or move to more dance. Then she will have the option to audition for their "team" or find a competitive troup (although those seem to be more hip hop and she's gravitating toward jazz) or stay in rec classes. I love that she has all the options.

I would recommend having her try a few drop-in classes over the summer, or sooner if you can, and at multiple studios. Most of the gymnasts we know who switched to dance ended up enjoying it and being very successful, especially with competition teams. Acro skills are valued by many comp studios, especially in the junior age group. You never know what genres she will enjoy until she tries them out. My older DD16 started dance at 4, competed for 11 years, and just this year has switched to ballet only. She liked ballet when she was young, but really started to love it at around age 12.

I agree with other posters that she may find a rec program too slow or boring. We looked at a lot of studios when my dd needed a new environment in 8th grade, and the wide variety of classes/studios available was impressive, and a bit daunting. Also, finding an advance rec class for our foreign exchange student last year was challenging. It's easy in our area to find outstanding comp studios and laid-back rec studios, but to find that in-between took some work!

Good luck as she figures out where her path will lead!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back