Parents Travel meet over DS's birthday! What to do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

We are scheduled to do a couple travel meets this year. One is clear up in Boston, a 6-hour drive for us, in January. My ds's birthday is Thurs. January 14th and it looks like Olivia is tetatively scheduled to compete on Friday the 15th. We'll have to leave home, taking her out of school early, on the 14th. That means we'll miss celebrating ds's birthday with him. I'm sad about it already. Typically dh and ds stay home and don't attend meets. Maybe we can all go together and celebrate over the weekend? Has anyone run into this problem before? I'm sure there has to be someone out there that has!

Any advise?

I totally would go all together and turn it into a fun trip. Dad can find something to do with DS whilst Olivia competes and then you can have fun together.

Either that or Dad plans something really cool with DS and turn it into a father and son weekend, so that he'll be having as much fun as Olivia and feels like the centre of attention.

I have often celebrated birthdays early or late with my son as he would often visit his Dad on his birthday (I am pretty relaxed about hise things) we were always able to make it inot "two" bithdays not a missed birthday.

DD has a meet this Sunday, DH's birthday. It is not a travel meet though.

I think you should have DH & DS go to Boston and let DS pick something special to do on Saturday. Is there a Bruins game that day ? Quincy Market is cool too. I am sure there would be something he would enjoy !

Do you know where you are staying in Boston? And how old is the birthday child? There's tons to do in Boston but you also might just want to wait and celebrate it the next weekend at home.

My non-gymmie also has a birthday right smack during meet season, so I hear ya! Basically I ask her what she wants to do. She hates to miss school, so I know if that's the case my DD would opt to celebrate a different weekend. She also doesn't love going to meets...so that's no birthday celebration for her anyway. I'd rather make her birthday about her...not squeeze it in around her sister's meet. We just drag out the celebration longer(a different weekend) & she ends up making out on the deal. So I'd ask DS what he would like to do, JMHO.

I would look and see if there was a concert or sporting event that DS and DH could attend and do a fun dinner or something as a family. I am sure DS would love to cut school for a 1/2 and make a road trip if you can make it a fun Birthday celebration. I am sure it will all work out.

I would let him decide if he wants a weekend with dad in Boston/at home or if he wants to celebrate the week before/week after. :)

It sounds like a great excuse for a family get-away to me! I'd stress to him that you're all going for his birthday, and make sure you do fun things for him there. Then, if he really wants another friend or family celebration, do that before or after. (That something extra does not have to be expensive at all, as I'm sure you'll spend a lot on his birthday in Boston.)

I am having the same problem. This yr dd's travel meet is President's Weekend, a.k.a. Valentine's weekend. Ds's birthday is on Valentine's Day. We live in NJ, travel meet is in Tx. Dh and I were planning to all go, but due to the events that fall on that weekend and also the fact that the NBA All-Star Weekend is also the same weekend in the same city - we are getting KILLED for airfare and decided it wasn't worth it to spend about $1400 for just airfare for a long weekend for all of us when it really isn't a vacation at all. I am very bummed. Ds is only turning 9, he actually still wants me around at this age.

So I told dh, to do something really cool with ds on the 14th and we (myself and dd) decided to get a fairly early flight home on the 15th (Mon.) so we can at least go out to dinner on the 15th to celebrate.

It stinks and I'll about 85% fine with it. I think I am taking it harder than he even will, but I guess I just feel a little guilty - really I shouldn't because I am sure that they guys will find something to do and he won't even be bothered by it! :eek:

We are scheduled to do a couple travel meets this year. One is clear up in Boston, a 6-hour drive for us, in January. My ds's birthday is Thurs. January 14th and it looks like Olivia is tetatively scheduled to compete on Friday the 15th. We'll have to leave home, taking her out of school early, on the 14th. That means we'll miss celebrating ds's birthday with him. I'm sad about it already. Typically dh and ds stay home and don't attend meets. Maybe we can all go together and celebrate over the weekend? Has anyone run into this problem before? I'm sure there has to be someone out there that has!

Any advise?

I'd make this an exception (if you can afford it) and take DH & DS with! They can do something fun on their own--cheer your DD on at her meet, then you can all go out for a birthday dinner :).

If you can't afford to bring everyone, then celebrate early! We've done that alot for various reasons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back