Parents Travel meet team questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They can't swim the day of a meet, but the night before (especially if they aren't first session) is fine. The last 20 minutes is usually spent in the hot tub and most of the time, they are back in the room by 9 or 930 taking showers. 10 pm is the absolute latest we will stay in the pool area.

I have to be at meets for every session, and sometimes, that's the only reason we get a hotel room at all... wouldn't be necessary for only one session mid-afternoon. Can't punish the girls because I have a job to do, lol. :)

Your kids are older i am assuming?

We are in the no-swimming-the-night-before group. But we try to stay where his team/level is staying, if we stay. Last year we stayed where several teams were staying, and all the boys where in the lobby playing the card game bull5h!t after the meet. It was awesome. They had a great time. And they had all been at the hot springs before that. I love seeing the boys from the different teams hanging out together.

But sometimes, we use the travel meets as family vacation. Some team stuff, but a lot more family stuff. We have to, we rarely get to go anywhere else!! LOL!

My two are polar opposites. DD really likes one-on-one time with me or DH when she goes to a meet with an overnight stay, and is fine with just hanging out with teammates during breakfast before the session. DS likes to spend every possible minute with his teammates and generally has to be dragged out of someone's room kicking and screaming when mean Mom says he has to get some sleep.

The coaches aren't thrilled with swimming but don't ban it. Their main rule, which makes sense to me, is not to let the kids do things that will exhaust or injure them. That can lead to the need for some heavy parental oversight at a pool where a pack of gymboys are hanging out.

At our old gym, we were on our own. So, you might have a few families staying in the same hotels but mostly, we were spread out. Several families would drive in just for the meet & if it was over at a decent hour, would drive home same day. We usually went the day before she was scheduled to compete & would explore the area. We usually stayed an extra day too. We usually did try to get our girls as a team together for something, like icecream or play time, just something to encourage the team spirit but it wasn't required by the gym, just suggested.

We are on our own, and the vast majority of our meets involve a night in a hotel. Some meets have suggested host hotels, others do not. We usually don't stay at the recommended ones as we can usually find better accommodations on our own. We have stayed with most of our team at times and the parents coordinated it, but we don't feel a NEED to do so if it doesn't work for us.
We spend a lot of weekends in hotels Jan-May between gymnastics and dance...

At our former gym, we were required to stay in the same hotel. Big blow-up several years back when most of the optionals stayed in a different hotel at Chicago Style (same price, bigger rooms and had free breakfast). She (female half of HC/owner duo who organized all travel, meets etc). made a better effort to keep price in mind after that! We didn't have formal "let's do stuff together!" events, but usually levels did things together--hey, we were mostly good friends with other parents as we spent a LOT of time together over the years.

We are of the no-swimming camp as well.

Levels tend to stay in same hotel, and have meals together. Doesn't always work but this is what my DD looks forward to. Now that girls are older, we normally book a few rooms, where the girls can all sleep in one and the parents can share if they wish. Coaches may or may not join us for meals/hanging out.

We are of the no-swimming camp as well.
where the girls can all sleep in one and the parents can share if they wish.

Oh that would never work. Personally I don't think an hour in the pool is a big deal (coach does though).

Kids staying up too late is deadly to meet performance.

At least it is too mine.

Kids staying up late is deadly to anything. My oldest is finally realizing that when she is tired and/or hungry she needs to watch her temper.

Oh that would never work. Personally I don't think an hour in the pool is a big deal (coach does though).

Kids staying up too late is deadly to meet performance.

At least it is too mine.

Our girls are ages 14-17, very goal oriented. Even sleeping in same room, fear of them staying up too late is never an issue, they know there is a time and place (pre vs post meet). It is just the camaraderie of being together. The pool rule is the coach's.

Our girls are ages 14-17, very goal oriented.

I think this is one of those things that is very age- dependent. For my 8 YO, I want meets to be as fun as possible. I also like to emphasize the team aspect, so we try to have as much time with the team as possible during meet season. She loves nothing more than running around a hotel with all her friends in their leos with their hair done. Or pool time, group meals where they get their own table, or even just going out for ice cream or lunch after a not-stay over meet. If she loses a few tenths because of it I'm not that concerned.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back