Travel with your child

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think a gym should say parents are not allowed to go. That would make me suspicious. However, I think it is important that if for some reason you can't attend you should feel comfortable enough with your DD's coach to know she would be in good hands. Also, does the child care? Some kids would love the opportunity, and don't get the experience because mom is too worried. While parents need to make the final decision, I think being open with the kid and letting them have a say is important.

I would not have a problem with my child of 11 (of course mine is only 6 right now) going to a camp or clinic without myself or my wife. My wife though would disagree and plan on being nearby even if she could not be at the camp itself.

But I would never even consider both of us missing a meet. There will always be a parent there to see her compete, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Let me tell you why:

There was this kid that was raised to be very independent by his parents. He played high school football and was an all-state linebacker. He played hockey and was all-region and had he not gotten injured was all set to go pro. He ran track and for several years held a state record.

His parents never saw him in any of those. Not even once.

And it tore him up and caused major issues not just then, but for years.

I know we are talking about 1 meet out of many, and missing some is not any where near missing all of them, but it is still something to think about. We only have so much time with our kids, and if we take the time to be there and share in their success, and even more importantly their failures, we will strengthen our bonds and lengthen the time that they still want us there. Any coach that tried to interfere with that for me would get an earful.

I would have an issue with being told I wasn't ALLOWED to travel with my child. That would rub me the wrong way. My child=entitlement!

That being said, my daughter (almost 11) will be travelling out of country, Ontario-Arizona, this coming March, without me. She will be in the very loving and capable hands of her coaches, as well as a couple of team moms. I'm not the slightest bit worried about her safety or well being, and the only regret I have is that I won't get to watch her compete and share the experience.

I'm more than a little annoyed by the statement above "anyone who thinks otherwise isn't a parent." but not willing to entangle myself in a debate.

I think at this point it is clear where we all stand and the majority think that as long as the parent has the choice to go along then it's not an issue. I think that is really all this should be about and not about what a "good parent" is.

We always have to be careful when sitting on our ivory towers not to rush to judge. My ivory tower is nice, but not perfect!

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of the feedback! I feel much better now about my decision to go with her when she is traveling. There are some girls on the team invited to camps and my daughter is one of them. They are talking about her possibly going elite. Her coach now says that parents need to realize that if there are any girls that would go elite they would not be traveling with them to any of the events. She also thinks parents going to camps are just being rediculous because she can take care of the kids! Well, I guess we will see what happens from here, only time will tell!
Anyway, again as I said, Thank You for all of the feedback!
Mom:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back