Parents Trying real hard to be that supportive mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I posted here previously about daughter being done with gymnastics and updated everybody how daughter was having so much fun and adjusting really well. She swam all summer competing with swim club swim team and was starting to get good showed alot of potential. She also was doing dance and recently started irish dance and really liked it. She was actually was asked to do fill in one of the dances for the next level class. So eventhough I knew she was done with gymnastics I though it was great that she was having fun with other things. So now along comes cheerleading sign ups for her school and she wants to do it. One of the old gym friends (most of them are anti-cheerleading tells me you should let her ), so knowing she wants to I agree except that she will not be able to do swim team for her school. I want to be happy for her but part of me just feels like that she just wants to hang with her friends. Last year she really hated doing floor and her heels were severly hurting her from severs disease. She was really looking forward to winter swimming but she just seems like all she cares about is trying cheerleading. I feel like if I do not let her try than she will never get it out of her system. I just wish I could be more excited about it but the cheer does not seem as beautiful as gymnastics was. I do feel bad because I feel like I am that unsupportive parent and I wonder why she choose cheerleading over swim team thinking it was for the wrong reasons. I am looking forward to her performances in irish dance and her regular dance recital which I really enjoy. Maybe I am just of the generation where the cheerleaders were the popular girls. Please help any other gym moms whose daughter switched to cheerleading tell me about the postives and get me excited about the sport!

I'd be worried about her severs and cheer. Don't they do a lot of tumbling on not a lot of padding?

I feel for you.It is so hard when they pick something we have preconceived notions about or is just unexpected. We have long been trying to get DS (about to be 15) to find something he is passionate about (other than sitting on his butt playing Halon& Call of Duty). anything we said. Well he started HS this year and joined JROTC, he LOVES it. Joined Rifle Team, really enjoying it. Is it what I would have picked for him, no. I would have picked swimming, he has the body type for it & likes it. But........ he has excitement & passion about something, which is what we asked for, so...... I am supportive of his choice. It isn't easy because I don't understand it but, he is happy. I joined their Booster Club & try to ask him about it often. Don't get much out of him,I mean he's a teenage boy ! but, he knows I care & suppirt his choice.

I would try to take comfort in her happiness, even if it makes no sense to you.

Panda-Girls mom... it IS hard!!! I forget how old your DD is, but I THINK I remember that she's younger than high school, right??? Anyway, I would say that she needs to give it a shot, get it out of her system so to speak... ESP. if she's younger. She may try it and decide that she HATES it and want to go back to swim team. I'm also from the generation when the cheerleaders were just the "popular" girls and I still have that nasty taste in my mouth! My DD wanted to try out for Cheer in her freshman year and I just about gagged!!! She has been on the HS gymnastics team for the last 2 years and I have to say that the "floor" they tumble on (competitive cheer as well, at least in HS), is just the top blue (or whatever color) or a spring floor... there is no "spring" to it!!!

Good luck!

I actually felt that way about competitive gymnastics and I still dislike many things about the sport, but she loves it so I support her in it. I LOVE watching competitive cheer, but not sure I would want my daughter doing that either, but I am sure I would support her in it. I wonder if her Severs will be okay because she can wear very supportive shoes, inserts, etc? Anyway, hugs! I hope that she finds something that she can do that she loves and I know that when she does, you will fully support her in it because she is happy. :)

Well as you must know I am a cheer mom now and it's not so bad. But before I let little Bog begin I made sure that her Osgoodes was under control and told her that if she has pain she will have to train light. Clearly Cheer is not a sport you can miss for no reasons.

I totally know how you feel, it is very hard to see them making choices that you do not like. It is hard to muster up the enthusiasm sometimes, but fake it for a while, sho knows you might grow to like it.

Last edited:
in a last resort kind of way, as long as they aren't in trouble with bad things that could effect their life (and yours in some cases) and they keep on with school and the cops are their 'friends', i can support anything.

ya'll know how i think about cheer, high school gym, soccer, etc; but i also think of the alternative to an unhealthy and dangerous lifestyle if they are not involved and 'belong' to something.

better to be "popular" and alive than to be...you get my drift.:)

I would let her know you aren't 100% happy with the cheer, but you will be there to support her. Certainly monitor how she's doing physically and if the heel pain surfaces again, then its time to reconsider.

I too didn't like it when DD switched to cheer. But actually, I suggested it to her...All I can say is that her smile has to be worth it all. Does it really matter if she chooses cheer at first only to be with friends? I don't think so. Cheer isn't at all anymore for the "Popular" kid. DD's team was comprised of girls who didn''t 'look' like that classic cheerleader. But her team went on to win many local titles. Root her on in whatever she chooses to try. Like dunno said, as long as she is involved in something, she will be alright!

With the issues your DD has with her feet I don't think I would let her do it. she has alot of other interests that she likes too and honestly its OK to say NO even if your kids want it really really bad! Just because they want to do something isn't enough of a reason for me to give the OK to my kids. If you say NO she may be upset for a little bit but something else will come along that will peak her interest and she will move on. Kids bounce back from a no really easily.

You said : Last year she really hated doing floor and her heels were severly hurting her from severs disease. I would just point this out to her and that in cheer it's basicly the floor tumbling again and you feel her health is more important so lets consintrate on other activities you like instead. If she comes back next year and is still asking then maybe consider it. I would give her feet a long rest.

Let me say my husband and I were both college cheerleaders on scholarships. My daughter is a gymnast and programed anti cheer. I have to say there is a place for all athletics including cheer. On my college squad my teammates have become very succesfull adults. We have 2 doctors, pharmaceutical reps, corporate ceo and managers, a principle, a chemist, a highschool biology teacher and the list goes on. Point is try not to judge because you just never know where something might lead:) As for her feet, that might be hard:/

My tiny DD did cheer for 2 months. ;) I was not a fan. When my older girls switched gyms it became too much because of the extra travel time. Tiny DD is now back in gymnastics and I am so happy!
That being said, if any of them truly wanted to do cheer (and they are older than 4 and have the ability to think clearly LOL) I would support them. I think maybe the cheer might be easier on your DD's body just because it is nowhere near as many hours or as intense.
I would let her try it and see how it goes. If the pain acts up then you can always make a decision later.
I really was frightened by some of the things I saw in the cheer world (for the very brief time I spent in it). We also have some friends' daughters who are in all-star cheer and I have to say I do not love most things about it. But I love gymnastics and always have, so my view is a little skewed I am sure.
It's hard. Part of my thinks that I am paying all this money and spending all this time...they should be doing something that I like! ;) But, sadly, that's not what it is about. I feel your pain. Good luck with your decision.

Severs isn't forever. It mainly occurs when children are rapidly growing and building muscle. It stops when they have finished growing. Physical therapy and stretching is what got my DD over it and when she finished growing at age 13 she has had no more problems, even though she worked out 25 hours a week.
My DD is not quitting gym, but reducing her hours so she can try out for her high school cheer team and still do gymnastics. Our high school has NCAA cheer coaches from outside the area come in and judge cheer tryouts. Parents and coaches are not allowed to be there so I am not worried about cheer being for the "popular" girls. I say let her try it. I am not crazy about the idea but high school cheer is pretty tame compared to competitive cheer. No dangerous stunting is allowed. They do standing back tucks when the team scores a touchdown but that's about it.

I am in the adjustment myself with my dd who switched to cheer recently. I don't like it, but I do think that saying "no" will just drive them to want to do it more. She may do it for a season and find she doesn't love it. I wouldn't worry too much about the severs because it's fewer hours and they wear shoes. The bright side is that she'll be keeping her tumbling up, making it easier for her to go back to gymnastics if she changes her mind.

I, too, would let her try it--she'll just want to more if you don't. As others have said, Severs doesn't last forever. My own daughter had it two years ago but hasn't had issues in over a year (she's 13 now).

My DD is currently doing Middle School cheer and from what I have seen from the high school girls, your DD will be the ROCKSTAR of the team since she can already tumble and probably has some really high jumps in comparison! I have not seen much in the way of stunting at even the high school level mainly because they are on the track. Being able to at least maintain her tumbling will like another poster mentioned make it easier to return to gym if she so chooses in the future! Hopefully her severs does not prevent her from enjoying cheer. I am actually enjoying watching Alex cheering. It is alot of fun.....just different from gym!!

I just went to buy Baby Bogs cheer shoes and uniform. I had a chance to speak one on one with the coach. It was lovely to see how much she loves her girls on her team, how she looks after them and stays with them throughout the whole meet. She travels with them on a bus there and back and syas she makes sure they are all fine. I found it so reassurring that she cared so much.

Yes cheer is not gym, but the girls are having so much fun with the dancing and tumbling, BB is a base and is loving learning how to support the voltige. Staying fit and having fun at the same time can only be good things.

Oh and BB ex gym coach is doing a cheer club one lunch time a week at her high school. SO now BB will cheer three times a week.

I totally know how you feel, it is very hard to see them making choices that you do not like. It is hard to muster up the enthusiasm sometimes, but fake it for a while, sho knows you might grow to like it.[/QUOTE]

I know that feeling. My dd took a little break from gym and wanted to try Acro and Cheer. OMG I was having heart failure lol, she was getting thrown around like a little doll. It was really hard to be supportive but it was something that she really wanted to try. Thank goodness she said no more. Don't think I would be alive if I had years of that.

lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"thrown around like a little doll". that's exactly what they do. hahahahaha.:)

Yeah I am thrilled that BB is too big to be a voltige, catching someone is dangerous, but being dropped. EEK!!! Cheerleading does accomodate all body types and I thin that is why a lot of ex gymnasts end up there.

Hopefully with more interest there will be more regualtion. I know here in Canada there are pages and pages of cheer safety rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back