Trying to prepare for a sad goodbye.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymcrazed92

I've been a competitive gymnast for 8 years. I'm almost 17 and just competed a great Level 9 year. Two years ago I fractured by back in two places, and I just fractured it again this year. The doctors are telling me no more gymnastics because of a spine disease I have.

I'm going to have to tell my teammates. :( But i don't know where I'm going to get the strength to do it. I've been with these girls all my life, they have become sisters to me, and it hurts so much to have to quit.

I don't want to, but my body can't take it anymore.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to get the strength to do it, and tips about quitting, and stuff?

This is the hardest thing i've ever had to do, and I just need some help :(

Thank you! :)

If they are truly your friends, you are not saying goodbye. Focus your energies on supporting them, and being there for them the way they are for you.

They wil understand if you are honest. You are not leaving them, you are participating differently. No one will be mad at you or think you are weak. If they do, they are self centered right now, and don't quite get it. Give them time, and they will. Do notfeel the need to defend yourself. Life happens. Grow stronger from the experience.

Good luck!

Ryan

I am sorry you are going through this difficult time. Your friends will surely understand that you have only one spine, and that the health risks for you to continue are too serious to ignore.

Good luck in talking to your friends. You can still support them at their meets. Is there any chance you could get a job at your gym ?

Its hard to have to leave something you love because of injury. My son had this same type of thing happen in 2008 just before he turned 16. He dislocated his knee cap and that was the end of competitive gymnastics for him. The good thing that came out of it he is still with the team when he finally went to his coach to tell him he was offered to be a team Jr coach. Maybe you could ask at the gym if there is something there for you too. you don't have to compete to be part of the sport you love. He does miss the competion but he also loves being a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back